6. Scandal At The Cemetery

Some people might hate take-offs, but not me.

The speed of the plane and the intense shaking as it's about to fly into the sky always gave me thrills.

"Amazing," Conner whispered next to me. I looked over and saw that he was gazing out of the window, watching as we rose higher and higher, and away from the airport.

"Have you ever flown before?" I asked, trying to start the conversation again and hopefully make up for the disaster I'd just caused.

"Not on a plane," he replied without looking at me.

Now, that was not an answer that I had expected. And also the way he said it made me even more confused. What did he mean?

"Then what did you fly on? A magic carpet?"

It took him a moment to realize I was being sarcastic. He finally looked at me again, his face a little pink.

"I've been –um– balloning before," he said. Though this reply didn't come out as natural as the first one did. He was hiding something.

"It was really neat, but nothing like this," he continued. "Science is almost like magic these days,"

What a clever way to change the subject. I decided to go with it and not ask any further details.

"You know, Arthur C. Clarke said that magic is just science we don't understand yet," I quoted. I wouldn’t say I was intentionally trying to corner him with my words. Of course not.

Conner smirked, "Not always," I heard him say to himself.

Yup. He fell into the trap.

"Pardon?" I aksed raising an eyebrow.

Conner shook his head and tried for a fake smile. "Oh, nothing. That's a great quote."

I know I'd said that I didn't want to ask for any details, but this boy's behavior was not helping my curiosity at any rate. His replies kept getting more and more confusing.

"Where did you go ballooning?" I was sure my suspicion was all over my face. But hey, he asked for it.

"It's a long story," Conner shrugged it off. "It was with my sister in my grandmother's um state."

"But this is my first time being on a plane," he finished and we looked at each other for a while. He was trying hard to maintain a straight face so I could believe his lie. But those tricks don't work on me. I knew Conner Bailey was hiding something and I was going to find out what it was sooner than later.

"Looks like you're having all kinds of first experiences."
Was I ... teasing him now? Perhaps.

Okay this might make me seem like a bad person, but this boy here, is a guy with a secret and he's bad at lying about it. And you expect me not to tease him? Please.

He looked at me with a confused fake smile. Gosh, I could swear his eyes kept getting bluer.
I broke eye contact and took out one of my novels to read. I tend to always look away whenever I find myself staring into Conner's eyes. You know, don't wanna be awkward and all.

Or perhaps coz you're shy.

Shut up, inner irrational Bree.

I put my earbuds in and started playing some dramatic horror soundtracks. Yeah yeah I like doing that whenever I'm reading something mysterious. It helps me get in the mood so don't judge me.

A few minutes had passed. Then I noticed Conner was shaking his left leg in a very noticeable manner. He usually doesn't do that.

"You okay?" I found myself asking.