03 ✁ [solangelo] sun's shadow

Prompt 3: "Is it so wrong for me to want to save you?"

Fandom: PJO/HOO

Pairing(s): Solangelo (Will Solace/Nico di Angelo)

Tags & warnings: character study, angst (to fluff?)

This one gon be kinda sad cos y'all know how much I love the angst ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and this prompt is basically asking for it.

✁ — — —

Nico di Angelo breaks Will Solace's heart.

He breaks it each time he pushes the blonde away in the infirmary, refusing his hands, his worried look even as he struggles to sit upright by himself, eyes still hazy from exhaustion. He would take the meds and sometimes even cute vitamin gummies from Will's palm, but he would always be careful never to touch the doctor — not even one accidental brush. It's not so much because he's a germaphobe, or has a fear of touching, or whatever else people like to assume — but more so because he's afraid, afraid of plaguing others with the woe and ruin he himself is so sick of. And it makes Will want to grab Nico's thin fingers, to squeeze them until they turn warm again, until the son of Hades understands that he is cared for and loved and wanted, and he doesn't have to do any of that.

He breaks it each time he sits at the edge of the amphitheater, while everyone else is gathered around the campfire, happily singing to one of Cabin Seven's songs. Will notices him in disjointed instances: through people's laughs, the gaps in between their waving arms, behind someone's back when they lean over to say something or another. He notices how Nico's shoulders slump, how his arms wound tightly around his knees, still wrapped in that thick jacket even though it's the middle of the summer. And he wants to stand up, to leave his spot right in the middle and come over, maybe even drag Nico into the crowd (although that might be a little too much for the brunet), because nobody should have to look that lonely.

He breaks it each time he turns to leave, without having said goodbye to anyone. He takes to the shadows most times, that cold and dark realm he somehow considers his home because it's the only place that won't judge. As his hair seems to grow longer, his eyes darker, his skin even more translucent, Will wants to reach out, to chase the darkness away and show Nico that no, you're wrong, you do have a place here with all of us. And he thinks Nico wants him to as well, in the way his brows furrow even as he turn to disappear, the way his lips press together with annoyance and frustration and sadness, because he realizes — just as Will does — how much he craves to feel like he deserves to stay.

Nico di Angelo breaks Will Solace's heart; and sometimes he wonders, is it so wrong for me to want to save you?

✁ — — —

Hope y'all enjoyed that! I haven't read anything Rick Riordan in so long, haha :P Feels good to return to one of my OTPs ^^ (although I'm sorry for making it so angsty lmaooo, these are hella angsty prompts I'm telling ya). I will try to do a happier/funnier one soon!

Byeee for now :3