S1 E22: Always Need You

The rain fell heavily over Paris, ominous clouds looming in the night sky. Thunder and lightning echoed through the city along with a familiar, and well-respected name.

"Emilie!" They shouted. "Emilie Agreste!"

Several search parties were arranged, yet there was no luck in finding the missing woman. A twelve-year-old boy of her green eyes and golden hair sat impatiently by the windowsill, watching the raindrops race each other down the glass. He heard his father talking to officer Roger in the foyer.

"We've searched the entire city, high and low, sir," the officer spoke. "It's been so long, I'm sorry to say, wherever Emilie's gone, she's been taken out of Paris, or she may not be alive."

Adrien perked up off of the bay window. No way he heard that correctly. His ears must be failing him. He ran into the foyer and stared up at the two men.

"That's not true!" He shouted. "Mom only went on a trip for a few months! She'll be back soon, right father?"

Gabriel blinked, frowning at his now motherless son. He bent down to him, holding his shoulders. "Adrien, listen..."

Tears filled the blond's eyes. "N-No..." He sniffled, pushing his father's hands off of him. "No way! It's not true! She can't be gone!" The tearful boy ran out of the mansion in the pouring rain.

"Adrien, wait!" Gabriel called out to his son.

"Mom!" Adrien cried out into the darkness. "Mother!"

Upon hearing no response, Adrien allowed tears to leave his eyes, cursing the stars that marked the day he'd lost his mother. A loud clap of thunder startled the boy to ground, sobbing hysterically as he was now holding his knees to his chest in the fetal position.

"M-Mom..."

Gabriel rushed out and scooped his son into his arms, holding him closely. "Adrien..."

"W-Why..." Adrien sobbed, "Why didn't you tell me that mom was dead?"

"We don't know that, son." Gabriel brought him inside and wrapped him in a towel, drying him from the rain. "She's just... disappeared."

"Mom!" Adrien woke up in a state of panic, looking around for Plagg.

"I'm here, Adrien," Plagg told him. "Are you okay? Was it your mother again?"

Adrien nodded, tears threatening to fall. Thunder once again scared the quivering boy further under his covers as he helplessly screamed bloody murder.

Plagg purred softly, getting Adrien's attention. "Kid, you'll wake up the whole house."

Adrien nodded, covering his mouth.

Plagg sighed, patting Adrien's head. Plagg wasn't particularly an affectionate kwami like his counterpart, Tikki. In fact, love and romance made him feel a bit nauseous. Nonetheless, Plagg cared unconditionally for Adrien. He was like his kitten. Plagg didn't strive to show his affection, however, seeing his chosen so frightened and upset, softened him up. Plagg knew purring kept him calm and that staying close to him made him feel secure. Plagg was a lazy cat, but he'd sacrifice his sleep for Adrien if he had to.

A twist to the doorknob was heard and Plagg went into hiding beneath the bed. Marinette rushed in, fatigue in her eyes, as she held a concerned expression. "Did... you scream?"

A deep blush was drawn over Adrien's cheeks as he hid his face in the blanket. "Sorry. I-I didn't mean to disturb you..."

Marinette's eyes had just readjusted to the darkness of Adrien's room. She frowned to see him wrapped in blankets, quivering and whimpering like a frightened child.