Cross

After all the talk of meeting with Zane and then the promise to 'introduce ' Pet remained intact even as Lex's demeanor turned chilly even before she and Negan returned to the main compound. As charming as he tried to be, the queen had flipped like a switch. Her black eyes had gone stormy and her already sharp facial features had hardened and became impassive as they reached the treetop lift.
"I'll have you brought to my chamber at breakfast hour." She said, sternly as the were hoisted up to the catwalk. "I'll show you to your quarters."
Negan cocked an eyebrow and smiled broadly.
"Oh..I was hoping for an after dinner drink and some exotic dessert."
The provocative statement was met with a steely gaze and he watched as her spine stiffened slightly. It was beginning to become obvious that it wasn't going to be as easy to topple the throne as he originally thought. It wasn't going be a problem outsmarting her. It was going to be about mastering her sweeping temperament and to use it against her. She was like Pet in a way. Pet was volatile but in a firecracker kind of way. It was fun to watch her go off but was relatively tame. She had to be handled carefully for sure but he knew how to bring her around. Lex was more like an unstable bomb. One wrong move and it was all over.
"I have a previous engagement that I need to attend to." She sniffed, as they approached where he would be staying.
The sun was setting and the torches that dotted the compound below blazed their warm light, casting dancing shadows. Negan's little bungalow was lit up as well, the soft glowing of low lit oil lamps filtered through the netted doorway. An armed guard stood outside waiting to take watch over the new visitor.
"You'll be taken care of. Anything you need, you ask Steven here. He'll make sure to retrieve it." Lex stated, coldly.
Negan eyed the brutish looking sentinel that stood frozen in place and then back to Lex. Her eyes were narrowed slightly, resembling a cat ready to bare her claws but her gaze softened as someone approached on the creaking catwalk and joined them. It was a young man and when she offered the back of her hand, he took it and pressed his lips to it, bowing deeply.
"This is Ryan." She announced, running her palm against his smooth jaw. "He just moved up to the hierarchy."
It was abundantly clear how the youthful soldier found his way up here. Even in the dim firelight, he could see the way she was eyeing him, her black eyes shining in the amber glow. Her young escort stood by her, puffing his chest out like a cocky rooster, clearly protecting his newly acquired position.
"You've got a lot on your plate, kid." Negan teased. "I hope you've got a man's appetite."
Ryan went to retort but he didn't get a chance to utter a thing. Suddenly Negan's arm was circled around Lex's tight waist and his long fingers tangled in her hair and jeweled headdress, forcing her head back. The soldier that was standing guard over the hut sprang towards them to stop the sudden attack on his queen but not before Negan caught her in a ravaging kiss. Their eyes met for a fleeting moment, his sparkling with lusty mischief while hers were wide with bewildered shock. When he was finally ripped away, the taste of him lingered on her tongue and he was still smiling broadly at her as both Ryan and the guard restrained him.
"Release him!" Lex gasped hoarsely, when she finally caught her stolen breath.
"My apologies." Negan drawled. "I had to find out what royalty tasted like. I wanted to since I laid my eyes on your fine ass."
No one had ever seen Lex flustered. Not since she started this society anyway and it was evident in both Ryan and the lone guard's face. They were frozen and waiting for the order to kill him. She was obviously taken back, her hand over her heart and her eyes large and fixed on the man who dared touch her so brazenly. This stranger was either stupid or had a set of steel balls on him. Maybe both. To their shock, she merely straightened out an invisible wrinkle in her billowy pants and hooked her arm in Ryan's.
"Zane will be joining us for breakfast tomorrow, "She uttered coolly. "then the charge your interested in will be summoned. You and he can perhaps come to some sort of agreement."
She acted as if what had just taken place had never happened. But Negan knew by the look of her and how she treated his invading kiss so casually, that he may have sparked something within her frozen blood. He was still breathing and by the look of the soldier and her young lover, it wasn't what they had expected to happen.
"Good night, Negan. I hope you find your quarters comfortable." She said lightly and turned on her heel with Ryan in tow.