Chapter 8

Three days later, Kenny sat in Dr. Carter's office again. He had been going through it mentally and emotionally. Dr. Carter sighed as she stared at him.

"Have you heard from her?" She asked.

"No. I've been calling but I think she blocked my number." He said.

"Did you try her parents?"

He sighed shaking his head no, "I didn't wanna involve them,
just in case. I'm not sure if she actually told them, she never did like them in our business."

"I see."

"Look, just say it. It's all my fault, I ruined everything and now she's talking about divorce."

"I'm sure she didn't mean it."

"After all I've done, I deserve it. How am I suppose to function without her? I've been going crazy for the past few days."

"Find a way to send her a message. Apologize, for real. No more excuses." She asserted.

"She won't talk to me."

"Then find her, make her listen."

He nodded taking in everything she was saying. When he made it home, he tried calling his wife again. Getting the voicemail, he sighed in deep thought. That was until he heard a blood curdling scream.

"What the hell?" He said getting up. He walked outside and stood on his porch.

"AAAHHH!!" He heard from next door. Assuming Lauren was in trouble he ran over there.

"Lauren?! Lauren open up!" He yelled banging on the door. Trying the handle, he opened and gasped.

"Help me please! Call the police!" Lauren cried in a daze.

"Oh my God." He saidstaring at all the blood and Darren on the floor. He looked at her, "What the hell happened?"

I don't know! I came in and he was there and the whole place was torn up and Mason is gone!!" She sobbed.

Pulling out his phone he dialed 911. After hanging up, he hugged Lauren, "It's okay, the police are on their way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're so sorry ma'am. We are doing everything we can to find your son. Do remember what he was wearing?" An officer asked Lauren.

"I haven't been here in 3 fucking days! I don't know what the hell he was wearing!" She snapped. She sighed as more tears left her eyes, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I understand that this is frustrating."

"Here's a picture." She said handing him her phone.

"I'll get this to the news." He said taking it. He looked at Kenny,"And you are?"

"Kenny. Next door neighbor. I'm the one that called."

"Walk with me." The officer said. Kenny frowned but obliged anyway, "Did Mrs. Wheatley ever seem off to you?" The officer asked.

Kenny stopped and faced him,"No. You think she did this?"

"This was a crime of passion. Who ever did this wanted him to suffer. Nearly all the blood in his body is on the floor or the walls."

"Jesus!" Kenny whispered.

The officer nodded, "So I ask again, does she seem off to you?"

He looked at Lauren who had stared crying again and shook his head, "No."

When everything was done Kenny found Lauren sitting outside staring into space. She kinda looked like Toni did when she would sit in their son's room. He realized what she was doing had nothing to do with her condition, she was just grieving.

"If you want, you can stay in our guest room. Or I can drive you somewhere." He told Lauren.

She looked up, "Thanks. The guest room will be just fine. I just need to go pack some things."

"Sure."

After she went inside and up the stairs, he looked around the living room, careful not to get near the caution tape. He stumbled across an photo of Darren with some friends. They were standing in front a very familiar looking car.

"Kenny?" Lauren called out. He turned around and saw her with her duffel bag in one hand and a family photo of her, Mason, and Darren in the other.

"Yeah, lets go." He said opening the door for her.

When they made it next door. Lauren looked around, "Where's Toni?"

He cleared his throat, "She umm, she left...me."

She frowned, "I'm so sorry. You two seemed so solid."

"We were, I just messed up."

"When did she leave?"

"A few days ago. The guest room is the last door on your left."

"Thanks."

"No problem, just try to get some rest."

She nodded before making her way down the hall. Kenny went upstairs and laid in bed. He started to think about Toni and the day she left. An uncomfortable feeling took over and his thoughts took a dark turn. He sat up and grabbed his phone.

"Mrs. Braxton, I'm sorry for calling so late. I just really need to speak to Toni. It's urgent." He said to her mother.

"Hey Kenny, I'm sorry but she's not here." She replied.

"She's not? She told me she was- you know what? Maybe I got the dates mixed up. Goodnight." He said. After hearing her goodnight, he hung up. His screensaver popped up with of picture of he and Toni on it, "Please don't be the one responsible for this."