Chapter 9

Kenny was cooking break as Lauren was looking at the pictures of their family.
"What happened to your son?" She asked him as he came out of the kitchen.

He sighed feeling his emotions come forth, "He was killed in a car accident. The car flew and landed upside down. The seatbelt got tangled around his neck and-"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No I needed to say it out loud. It's part of accepting it." He breathed out.

They heard a car pull up outside. Lauren went to the window as a man got out of the car and walked up she and Darren's driveway.

"Who is that?"

"I don't know." He said before stepping outside. Getting a closer look, he frowned, "Detective Whitaker?"

Whitaker turned around, "Oh hey."

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to make an arrest. Thanks to your wife. We found out who hit your car."

"Why are you at my house?" Lauren asked.

"I'm looking for a Darren Wheatley." He said reading off a paper.

"My husband?"

"Darren did it?" Kenny asked.

"Yeah, the DNA sample your wife gave us, led right to him."

Kenny's eyes widened, he always knew there was something familiar about Darren but couldn't figure out what. Lauren glared at him as if she had figured it all out.

He sighed, "Lauren-"

"Where is she?!" She asked not giving him a second to explain.

"We don't know if she has him-"

"It all points to her. She found out Darren did it and took our baby to replace yours."

"You really believe that?"

"YES! I saw the pill bottles in your bedroom, I googled the names. The bitch is a fucking lunatic! She killed my husband!"

"IT'S NOT LIKE HE DIDN'T DESERVE IT!" He snapped. Realizing what he said, he sighed, "I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. Your son died and I get that, but she has no right to take my child from me." She cried.

"You're right."

"So Darren is dead? And you think Toni killed him?" Whitaker asked.

"Possibly. She's been off her meds for her schizophrenia." Kenny said looking off in the distance.

"Do you have any idea where she could be?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kodi sweetie stop crying. Mommy can't think straight when you're crying like this." Toni said rubbing her head. She picked him up putting his pacifier in his mouth, "That's better." She said hearing silence.

"I'm sure you probably miss your dad but he's not apart of our lives anymore. He thinks mommy's crazy. You don't think that right?" She asked him getting that famous grin in return. She kissed his cheek before carrying him into kitchen.

They were at this old log cabin Toni's aunt owned. She was never there so she gave Toni the key and told her could have it. It's the same place Kodi was conceived. She put the baby in the carrier and went to fix a bottle for him.

As she check the temperature, she heard a noise. She quickly moved till she to the drawer nearest her and pulled out a handgun. Pointing it, she walked  closer to the front of the house, "Who's there?"