25 - Lies

One day, I was particularly upset. I want to say it was because I had really bad luck that day, but it was most likely because I was on my period. Whatever the case, I was being a real bitch. I "accidentally" hit Peter with my shoulder when I walked by him in the hall, which I instantly regretted, but it's not like I could do anything about it.

We still weren't talking, but I keep catching him looking at me when he thinks I'm not paying attention, like he wants to talk to me. And I do want to talk to him, but I'm just kinda scared about what happens after that. I mean, he said I was the love of his life, for christs sake! I don't know what to say to that! I can't say I don't love him like that because it will literally crush him. Plus, I'm not even sure I don't love him like that. When I moved back and we became friends again, it felt...different. I just thought it was because we were apart for a few years, but now I'm not so sure.

Wow, talking about your problems while on your period can really distract a person.

Anyway, I was in a really bad mood when I got back from school. Steve had made chocolate chip cookies, but I turned them down and grabbed the container of fried chicken from the fridge, stomped up the stairs, changed my mind halfway up, then went back down to also grab the entire plate of cookies.

After setting my food and laptop up for an afternoon of nothing, I decided I should do something productive before settling into the void of emotions and cravings that was bound to happen, so I went to check in on how the search for the guy that wants to kill me was going. Fun, right?

I walked down to Tony's office to look for him, and I noticed that the door was slightly open, which was weird because it's either completely shut or completely open.

As I approached, I could hear my father in there, talking on the phone.

"Well, look some more. There's gotta be something in the fine print." Pause. "It's not necessary, but I would like to get something from the both of them. They both betrayed me."

I furrowed my eyebrows. What the hell is he talking about?

"Look," he said, his voice getting harsher. "I don't care if I get custody of her, I just want the goddamn money!"

My stomach dropped. I knew it.

I swung the door open, letting it hit the wall behind. My father spun around.

"I've gotta go," he said into the phone, eyeing me carefully.

"What the hell was that about?" I demanded when he hung up. "You just came here for the money?"

"I'm your father. Custody should've gone to me. Not Stark," he tried to reason.

"You can't do shit about it. Besides, what do you care? You never cared about either of us," I spat.

He stared at me with cold eyes. "I loved your mother."

Tears welled in my eyes. "Right. But not the kid. You didn't love her enough to stick around when she got pregnant."

He opened his mouth, but I cut him off. "Do you know how much pain Mom was in when I was little? I remember her-"

He slammed his hand on the table, making me flinch. "That's not why I left!"

He stood up straight, closing his eyes and rubbing his temples while I tried to contain myself.

"It's not my fault," he sighed. He opened his eyes and looked at me, some emotion I didn't recognize lacing his gaze. "You've been lied to. But of course, it's not my place to tell."

He chuckled softly. I was beginning to get scared. What in the name of God is he talking about?

"W—what do you mean?" I asked cautiously. "Lied to about what?"

He grinned at me mockingly. "Well, you're a smart girl. You should be able to figure it out."

"I don't even know what you're talking about," I protested.

"Ah, but I've already said too much." He walked to the door, then turned back around.

"I'll leave the money alone if you promise me one thing," he proposed.

I hesitated, fearing the worst. "What?"

"Don't tell anyone about what happened here. Especially not Stark. It might...complicate things, my dear."

He winked at me, then left the room, leaving me completely bewildered.

I trudged back up to my room, lost in thought.

What am I being lied to about? And if it's not his place to tell, then who's is it? Maybe he's just psycho and I shouldn't listen to what he said. Whatever just happened, it totally freaked me out. There's goes my afternoon of nothing.

{edited 5/11/20}