30 - Ready For Anything

I was laying back on my cot when someone knocked on my door. Looking up, I saw Peter cautiously standing in the doorway.

"Hi," he said, walking in.

"Hi," I replied. I placed my book beside me and smiled softly.

"So, your memories are back?" he asked tentatively as he approached the bed.

"Yeah, pretty much. There are some things that are kinda fuzzy, though," I explained.

Peter stood at the foot of my bed with his hands shoved in his pockets, which I knew he did when he wasn't sure what to do or say. We both waited in awkward silence. I wanted to talk about our fight, and I knew he did too, but I was nervous. Then I realized that neither of us wanted to bring it up first.

"Peter, I'm sorry for that night," I began, steeling my nerves. "I shouldn't have flipped out on you."

"Camella, what are you talking about?" Peter sat on the edge of the bed. "I was the one that flipped out."

I shook my head. "I should've told you. I don't know why I thought it'd be more difficult if you knew."

"Are you kidding? I'm the one who read your text, I should've told you that I knew. And I know I was being a hypocrite, I just—I wanted to keep you safe."

"We were both hypocrites," I insisted, grinning slightly. "And dumb."

Peter let out a small chuckle, shaking his head, then looked back up at me. "Still, I am so sorry. I shouldn't have freaked out at you, especially since you were going through all that stuff with your parents. That was really crappy of me. I just wish I was better—"

I cut off his rambling by doing something I should've done long ago: I placed my hand on the back of his neck, pulled him forward, and pressed my lips against his.

Peter froze up, then finally relaxed after a moment. I realized how much I actually wanted to kiss him, after all this time.

I pulled away, looking up into his warm, beautiful brown eyes I had loved since I was little and thought of how I had grown to fall in love with the rest of him.

"I love you, too, Peter," I whispered.

His eyes grew wider than they already were. "Wha—really?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, I lied. Yes, really!"

Peter smiled so widely, completely at a loss for words. He laughed as if he couldn't believe it.

"Oh!" he said suddenly, like he just remembered something. He reached into his backpack and rummaged around.

"I was going to bring you this as a peace offering, but I guess I didn't need to."

Out of his bag came Lovebug. I took the bear, tracing its little heart. I looked back at Peter and kissed him again, a little more intensely.

"Oh, Peter?" I said once we both pulled away. "You know how you mentioned my parents earlier?"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, about that..."

❃ ❃ ❃

A few months later

"No, no, no, it's fine." I winced as Natasha brought the curling iron dangerously close to my face.

"Are you sure? Because—ow, ow, May, you're pinching me—because I know how much you wanted—"

"Really, Peter, it's fine," I assured him.