Ground Zeroes

March 16th, 1975 00:00

Skull Face and his unit returned to the Prison Area, where Chico was found slouched over in his cell. One of the soldiers aimed their submachine gun at him, but not even the threat of death could stir him out of his current state.

"She told us everything," said Skull Face. "Don't worry. I kept my word. She didn't suffer long."

Skull Face then pulled Chico's Walkman out of his jacket and dropped it into his cell.

"You earned it," said Skull Face.

Skull Face kneeled down and watched Chico pathetically slide himself towards his walkman.

"How's it feel to play the traitor?" his torturer taunted. "No more war games. You're a real man now soldier."

Skull Face stood up and calmly adjusted his hat as Chico plugged his headphones into his Walkman.

"Give my regards to your Boss when you get home," Skull Face chuckled. "Also, you're little girlfriend left you a message on there before she passed on. I'd take a listen if I were you."

Chico watched the unit leave before he even dared to press play. He has already been through so much pain the past few days; he was sure whatever words Paz left him couldn't hurt him at this point. All that was left was to listen to her last words, "Chico. I am borrowing your recorder. I hope you do not mind.

I know it hurts right now, but it will all be over soon. Just thinking that helps keep the pain away. Chico... I would do anything to get you out of here. It is funny... I have never helped anyone else before, only Cipher. That is the truth. I... I never imagined you would come for me. I was not very nice at first, I know. But I did not mean it. I...I was afraid they would try to use you, somehow.

But, to be honest... Having you with me here put my mind at ease. I hope that does not sound selfish. I thought I would never make it. But together, I think we can. I am watching you sleep as I record this. You have made me believe. That I will make it out of here... And that – no matter what happens – it will not be the end for me. Thank you, Chico."

"Paz..." the broken boy whimpered, too broken to realize that one of the guards of the Prison Camp disappeared.

Another guard walked out fenced area and was immediately grabbed and thrown in the nearby sea. The third and final guard walked to the edge of the nearby cliff and was swiftly kicked off it into the sea below.

A light was then repeatedly flashed in front of Chico, prompting the boy to look up and find Snake in front of his cell door. He picked the lock to the door and quietly opened it, but instead of being greeted with the relief of rescue, the frightened child adamantly backed away from him.

"Chico, it's me," Snake assured him.

"No... Go away!" Chico yelled.

He tried to reach out to the traumatized child, but Chico constantly swatted his hands away in defiance.

"Chico, keep it down!" Snake whispered.

Hearing a nearby vehicle, the stealthy mercenary took his eye off of Chico to check for more guards, giving the broken child soldier a chance to tackle him down. With the threat of his target alerting the other guards of the base, Snake wrapped his arms against Chico's throat and slowly tightened his grip. He applied more and more pressure to his air depriving hold until his target was eventually rendered unconscious. Snake then released his grip and gently laid the boy down and decided to update Miller.

"I've got Chico," Snake reported.

"And Paz?" asked Miller.

Snake looked towards Paz's side of the cage and was surprised to find it empty.

"Not here," Snake reported.

"Are you sure?" asked Miller.

"Pretty sure," Snake assured him.

"Is Chico able to walk?" asked Miller.

"Hold on," Snake said as he reached for his flash light again.

Snake inspected the young boy and felt nothing but regret when he finds bolts screwed into his tendons.

"Not going to happen," Snake shook his head.

"You'll have to carry him out then," said Miller. "Okay, Boss, change of plans. Haul Chico over to the rendezvous point. We'll get Paz's whereabouts from him once he's calmed down."

Snake lifted Chico over his shoulders and started to make his way to the designated RV. It was the cave he found during his first mission here and he knew it was the perfect spot for extraction for this mission. Once there, Snake sat the now conscious Chico in the cave and asked, "Chico, where is Paz?"

"She's dead..." Chico sorrowfully answered.

"Dead...?" Snake repeated.

"She's dead..." Chico nodded.

"When did it happen?" asked Snake.

"She's dead..." Chico repeated.

"Were you with her when it happened?" asked Snake.

"She's dead," Chico shook his head.

Before Snake could question him further, Miller contacted him.

"What do you think, Boss?" asked Miller.

"I can't get a straight answer from him," said Snake.

"You think she's really dead?" asked Miller.

"It's a common trick for torture to lie to victims," said Snake. "Chico wasn't there when it happened."

"I see..." said Miller. "Alright then, search the base for any clues to Paz's whereabouts. If she's alive, we need to bring her back here."

"Right," Snake nodded.

Snake left the safety of the cave and noticed a truck drive by. The truck stopped in front of a lone medic and the medic climbed in.

"You have to check the vitals on the girl, right?" the soldier behind the wheel asked.

"Those were my orders," the medic answered. "Though I don't know why we need to keep her alive at this point."

"What do you mean?" the soldier asked as he drove to the admin building.

"The guys who were interested in her are gone now," said the medic.

"Thank god," the soldier sighed. "Those guys freaked me out."

The truck stopped at the admin building's front gate and requested for it to be opened for them. Soon the gate opened, allowing the soldier to drive and park the truck in the administration area. They then made their way to the boiler room, where Skull Face left Paz.

"Alright," the medic said. "Let's see how this little bi-"

Before he could finish his sentence the medic was punched across the jaw, instantly knocking him unconscious. The soldier immediately turned around and could do nothing but watch Snake grab his rifle and use it to render him unconscious too. With the area secured, Snake approached Paz ad softly called her name. He then checked her pulse as memories of their last encounter flooded his head. Even though they last met as enemies, he still couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor girl. Snake freed her from her bonds and proceeded to carry her back to the RV while avoiding all the security in his way.

Once back at the RV, Snake carefully laid Paz next to Chico, who couldn't believe his eyes. The person he thought he condemned to death was alive. Chico then laid back and started begging her for forgiveness, but all Paz could do was hum, as if to calm him down. Snake requested a helicopter pickup and waited in the cave with them until eventually one arrived. Snake loaded his objectives into the vehicle and jumped in himself, riding it out of the base's airspace.