Chapter 8 - Katie and the Jealous Woman

Shawnna left them in the room for three days. Katie was okay with that. New clothing appeared for Reghar, and Katie found one-size-fits-all hospital scrubs in a closet to wear. Plenty of decent food, tea, coffee, even fancy bottled water. Plates appeared with a mix of fresh stuff, grown in a hydroponics lab, and stored, all of it healthy. Except for the two giant chocolate and peanut candy bars that came on a plate once. Katie and Reghar ate everything brought to them. The beds were soft and adjustable to preference. And she found a library's worth of media with music, movies, books, a massive catalogue that overwhelmed. Everything from before the world broke.

Endless electricity. Unlimited water. Every delicious amenity pre-broke earth offered. Was she in heaven? How was this possible?

She put Raegar in the shower when she noticed his noxious, dirt smell. He fought her, made her chase his wet, naked butt around the room, cried when soap got in his eyes, and then when Katie said he was finished, the boy refused to get out. Defeated, she just left him there.

She liked helping kids.

Taking care of them sucked.

There were a couple of shifter groups a few days from here and trade depot that sat settled next to a hot spring where a motley group of others parked themselves. Lots of folk passed through for talk and supplies on their way to somewhere else. It wasn't very safe, but it was a good spot to find families and friends, leave information and gather some. She could take the boy there, after. Find out about his pack, or find him a new one.   Shifter's were possessive of their kids. He'd not be unwanted.

Not knowing when another chance might come with hot water, decent water pressure and endless bath products, Katie took a shower every chance she could get. It was something to do where the boy wouldn't follow her. The new tattoos were more like brands than ink and didn't wash off. She tried anyway. The bright red was fading to pink, becoming a part of her.

She talked to them while she washed. "What are you doing here? Get off of me." She didn't know what to do about them. The monsters imprinted on her were selfish and self-motivated, seeing humanity as inferior life forms. They didn't belong in this world. They didn't belong on her body.

"Why the hell did you have to do that with your hands. I don't want you anywhere near my girl parts. This is awful." She slapped a scrubby wash cloth over her shoulder. "And what is on my back? I know you are back there. I can feel you." She let her voice rise in outrage. "Is there only one? Is it the old lady? Someone, please tell me I didn't bring her out of there. That would be so bad. So, so bad. Pretty sure she is one of those types of witches that eat children."

"Katie, okay?" Reghar at the door.

"I'm okay." She hollered back.

"Sure?"

"Yessss!"

"Go out?" He asked. He only asked every hour. As much as Katie loved the room, he disliked it. He felt trapped. Knew it was underground and far from the moon and the wild.

"No. We have to wait for Shawnna or Agis."

"Go dragon ride?"

"Noo!"

She heard him snickering.

Although his sentences were simple and short, the four-year-old was no innocent, undeveloped babe. He picked up on everything Katie said or did. Smelled it, with his super-werewolf-nose. She wished he'd sleep alone in his own bed. She put him there, but woke up with him on top of her, in shifted form, his cold nose tucked under her chin, drooling everywhere.

Full of energy from minute they arrived in the room, he went stir crazy. She could only get him to watch half a movie before he was pouncing and jumping on Katie, trying to get her to wrestle. He was strong, but Katie, was strong and fast. As a baby alpha, it was in his nature to challenge her, but, still a child, he didn't mind losing every time. It made him feel safe. That he kept challenging her revealed his anxiety. He said nothing of parents when she asked, looking at the floor instead in silence, but his behavior showed her he wasn't used to human frailty. He'd smash a human mother by now.