Chapter 14

The street was strangely quiet. So much so, that we slowed to a walk. It would also keep us from standing out if someone came into sight or looked out a window.

Although with two chainsaws in plain sight, I was pretty sure people would immediately notice them.

Arai's stomach grumbled. "Did we pack anything to eat?"

"No," I replied. That would have required planning.

A nearby window pushed open, and an elderly woman peered out of the high window. She was so short I could barely see her nose. "Out on the street at teatime with nothing to eat? Come join us in our shop."

We hesitated. My throat was getting dry, and I hadn't had any to eat other than a dense biscuit. From the looks of the others, they also realized that we hadn't eaten or drank anything during the last three or four hours.

We didn't even know what kind of currency was needed here. This offer was probably our only chance to rest and regain our strength. If it was a trap, we could run, but I didn't think it was. As short as she had been, she had probably just seen our heads and had no idea how we were dressed.

I cautiously approached the store's open front door and went in. As they entered, Arai and Corvus subtly tucked their chainsaws behind the door and out of sight.

Clocks adorned every single open space on the walls and shelves. There was everything from massive grandfather clocks to miniature pocket watches. Isla paused and pointed to a sign – All clocks are steam-powered, contain a mini reactor, and only need to be refilled with water once a week.

Thousands of clocks – and not a single tick to be heard. Just the barely audible hiss of steam.

"We're in the next room, dearies."

We went to the next room, where several workbenches had objects scattered across them in various states of repair. One table had been cleaned off and had plates of biscuits, toast, jam, and what looked like jerky.

An elderly couple were waiting for us.

"Pull up a chair and join us," the lady said. "Where are your teacups? I have some lovely tea here. Nothing like what's at the gala, but it's warm and freshly steeped."

"Uh," I began, "we lost them on our way here."

"Ah," the man replied sagely. "No wonder you aren't at the gala if you lost your personal teacup. We have some spares. Have a seat, I'll get them. Help yourself to the side dishes."

We all pulled chairs over to the table while he tottered over to a dented brass cabinet. He came back with four mismatched cups. I had a feeling such a thing might be a crime in the upper social circles in this city, although I wasn't about to utter a peep about that. I already had the fashion police after me. Literally.

He passed out the cups as we murmured thanks.

"Nice to see some young teachers around," the lady said as she poured us some tea. "Although I'm a tad bit surprised you aren't at the Gala."

Isla demurely replied, "I may love kids, but the crowds at the Gala are a bit beyond me."

"Ah, yes," she said. "The crowds and all the fancy uppity-ups will be there in their finest outfits."

Isla and I exchanged a surprised look – this was the last thing we had expected to hear.

The old man saw it and chuckled. "Steampunk may be our thing, but it wasn't too many years ago we were on Earth. Buttons, bah! Never used to be part of steampunk culture until we came here! Leather, brass, and steam, if you please – and that was it!"