The Silence of Small Things

I need to take a moment, and explain the workings of my people to those of you who may be uneducated. Not all the fair-folke are created equal, and by that same measure do we not all get along. Though I am mostly a solitary individual, I do in fact have a tribe. War is an ugly business, and casualties can amass in the most mysterious ways, especially where my ilk are concerned. The Gwyllion, horrid wicked creatures, took and stole and murdered. I'm not saying that I haven't done the same, but they lack rhyme or reason, two things that I hold close to my heart.

The battle raged at the shore of the small lake, banners tore, and our war beasts turned circles around the wicked Gwyllion Fae. It took a special breed of us Fae to harness and mount the small wild animals. Their giant ears perfect for hearing the slightest flutter of a wing, their small stout bodies, nimble enough to dive through the knotted underbrush of the wild woods. I watched while my mount turned and opened it's long maw, taking an arm from one of the Gwyllion as fast as a sneeze.

The Gwyllion fell back in waves crashing closer and closer to the lake, the depths of which served as their dark home. I couldn't tell you the last time the Gwyllion had waged war, but this was the first time in my recent memory that they did so.

My mount leaned low, stretching his mud splotched paws outward giving me the opportunity to depart from his back.

"Ree, my relentless." I stroked his coarse fur, bramble thorns catching on my fingertips as I did.

The beasts were intelligent, but not the kind that spoke with words; theirs was a language of actions and so Ree nuzzled against me.

I stood for a time, resting against Ree. My comrades spoke, brief words of warning and advice. We had lost many in the battle, and the guard who was meant to watch the lakeside, to give first warning failed in his duty. I had failed my people.

It was much later before I saw Tomas again. I still watched the lake, though it was anything but still. The fish practically buzzed with the promise of war to come. The Gwyllion moved slowly in all things, but a slow death would still be a death.

I layed on my favorite branch watching the green hillside, alone for the first time in several moons. They hadn't trusted me at first, questioned if I had been turned to another cause, and finally decided to leave me watched. Styl, my watcher had responded to a summons of the court a few breezes ago. I assume it was in regard to me, but regardless I was finally alone.

I would be lying if I said my mind hadn't drifted towards Tomas on more than one occasion. How had his sister fared, did he still fear me, why had he not returned? My musings were interrupted by none other than my muse. The charming boy moved slowly, taking care to crest the hill with as much caution as one of his age could have in regards to anything.

I noted the basket under his arm and the hesitation under his steps. He walked through the battlefield that had been, moving along the same path the Gwyllion took to advance towards the wood. Tomas set the basket down and retrieved the small offerings within. A clear glass filled with milk and a small wrap that smelled of cookies even from where I laid.

"No boy," I said softly, letting the breeze carry my words to his ears.

"I-I never got your name," Tomas replied, his voice as soft as mine.

"I never gave it to you, though that brings me no joy."

"What is it?"

"Ask again, that would surely annoy."

"Why can't you tell me? I've brought you these gifts as thanks, my sis is much better now."

"We already struck one bargain, surely this is a ploy?"

I watched him as we spoke, his wheat gold hair flat in the sunlight, sparse clouds blocking the radiant glow that would surely have crowned him otherwise. His face spoke of sincerity, and the grass under his feet told me he was treading lightly.

"Ploy? No, I'm not trying to trick you... or make another bargain. I want to know you. I want to see you," Tomas said. His eyes danced nervously, and he didn't notice the ominous figure that rose from the water behind him. It was but a ripple as it rushed towards him, silent and full of motion. The Gwyndillion Fae could be swift and were known to take unwary humans astray. I intervened before it could cause him to become lost, revealing myself in the process. The enemy froze in its place, its fluid movement halted as easily as the lake in the winter.

Tomas gasped, my enemy fled.

"We are even, and my debt is paid," I said, moving to take the milk from him.

"Even for what?"

"Your gifts for your life saved."

"Well, I drew this for you," Tomas said. It was my turn to gasp in shock as he unrolled the small sheet that had been tucked under his tunic. It was me, or the best version of myself that he could interpret.

"This, you made?"

"I know it isn't that good, but my sis had been teaching me. I wanted to give it to you so I've been working on it for the last few weeks."

"Answer this truly, are you not afraid?"

"I am, but you reached out to me. You can't be that bad if you like my cookies.".

At this moment a flurry of activity occurred within the small lakeside. My mount, Ree, crashed through the treeline and charged full speed at Tomas while my watcher Styl chased after him, her expression smooth but her eyes practically yelling her fury to the world.

I am hardly ever at a loss for words but in this instant, I had no clever quip, no interesting way to twist my words, just the shock.

"A fox, no. What on earth is that? A wild dog?" Tomas exclaimed as Ree skidded to a halt just feet away from where we stood.

Styl glared at me, even as Ree laid on his stomach letting his short legs recover.

"He is a mount bred for many things, but loyalty above all."

"I-- I want him," Tomas said.

"We want many things, but you wished to only speak to me, now you'd prefer my thrall?"

"No, I suppose not. What if I visited and he was here? Can I pet him?" Ree cocked his head to the side, his large ears swiveling as he did. His mouth hung wide and his tongue lolled to the side.

"If he allows it, he may very well maul." Say what you will for Tomas, but the boy still had a spark to him after everything. Ree allowed him to shower him with affection, and I felt my interest wane in the child. Who was he to try, even half-heartedly, to take from me? I hid my disappointment behind the same smooth mask that hid all my feelings. This mortal would have Ree over my dead body. I felt the frustration rise within me before Styl place a single hand on my shoulder. Taking vengeance on Tomas would be unwarranted and akin to attacking a guest in your home, just something that is not done. I chose not to break the unspoken peace and soon the dark mood had passed.

Tomas left that day, smiles and laughter plentiful from his round face. Ree was polite if not overly, and Styl was silent until the boy had left completely.

"You would let him take everything from you, Pyr?" She asked.

"No, everything has been in exchange for something, but it may be time to have the boy learn the difference. He lacks the appropriate fear."