Chapter Five

Impact and Fade were not the villainous duo the press made us out to be. Impact was the oh-so-creative name Gareth came up with for an alias. We bickered like more than two old married people because Impact fooled around a lot and he almost never listened to me. But we did work well and efficiently together when we needed to.

In the near month we had been partners, we had robbed three stores and had yet to be stopped by any superheroes. I was just glad I didn't have to see anymore of Clover Kitten and Birdbrain.

It was my birthday, February seventeenth. Of course, none of my friends remember. I didn't even realize it until later on that day. It was at the bottom of the list of important things.

Gareth nudged me as we watched Dawn and Christina got into another screaming match. "I heard that Parisi wants to talk to you."

I glanced at him, dread filling my stomach. "What does he want now?"

Gareth frowned. "I dunno. You'll be fine, I'm sure. Parisi likes you. You brought in extra money. That should make you a favorite."

I was barely paying attention.

I wonder if Katrina is okay. Where is she? I miss her. Does she miss me too?

"You should go now. He doesn't like waiting."

Standing up, I asked, "Is Joe at the shop?"

Gareth nodded. I glanced at Christina, then went downstairs and avoided talking to anybody as I eyed the empty syringes on the coffee table. Scattered bodies of unconscious addicts littered the floor. Two were passed out in a tangled heap on the couch.

The house smelled like body odor and vomit, but luckily we had the electric back. Unfortunately, that brought in a lot more strangers.

I opened the door, startling a few people who were half awake, then stepped into frosty world outside.

I shivered as I walked through the snow in my tattered sneakers. I didn't have socks on, so my toes went numb almost instantly. I rubbed my hands together as I hurried to the shop Joe worked at, silently begging to be warm again.

I guess even gangsters have day jobs. Shame he works so far away.

Peeking into the shop through the open garage door, I found one a man in overalls working on a car.

I made a face at his fashion sense and called out, "Is Parisi here?"

The man startled, giving me a long look. "Sure, kid." He paused and took in a deep breath before bellowing, "JOE!"

I nearly teleported from sheer terror at the sudden shout. Joe walked inside almost immediately and glared at his coworker. "What—Oh. Maria."

His hateful expression didn't soften at all when he saw me. By the nod of his head and the fact he started walking off without a word, I knew I needed to follow him.

"I'm surprised you already have so much money considering the blonde left already," Joe commented. "You did good bringing in more money than I asked, kid. Glad you're pulling your weight. You've got sticky fingers when it comes to pickpocketing, huh?"

I shrugged, playing it cool. "Guess so."

"I changed my mind. Now I want two thousand a month."

I stopped in my tracks. "What?!"