Chapter Ten

Teleporters aren't supposed to run, so it's kind of hard to explain why I was running late.

But I had a good reason, albeit it wasn't why I was running late in the first place. I was eavesdropping on Jade Jaguar and Crimson Cardinal.

It wasn't intentional at first. I didn't even have my suit on. I was having trouble finding a place to change, hence the original reason I was late.

I was taking a shortcut through an alleyway when two people started shouting at each other from the rooftop. I stopped to listen and realized it was none other than Clover Kitten and Tweety Bird arguing.

"You broke her ribs! That was completely unnecessary!" Jade Jaguar was obviously struggling to remain calm.

"What? Are you pitying a criminal now?" Crimson Cardinal wasn't trying at all. "Why would you take her side over mine?! How do you even know that?"

Jade Jaguar's voice rose again. "We're superheroes! Fighting is only half the job description. The other is helping people."

"You're hopeless."

I looked up at the sky and watched as Crimson Cardinal flew off with her creepy metal wings.

"You're hopeless."

I rolled my eyes and started to walk out of the alley when Jade Jaguar leapt off of the roof right in front of me.

I jumped back and shrieked, nearly teleporting from shock.

Jade Jaguar's eyes widened. My heartbeat picked up.

There's no way he recognizes me, is there?

"I'm sorry," Jade Jaguar said, followed by a chuckle. "I didn't mean to scare you."

I had no idea what to say. I didn't want him to recognize my voice, so I stayed quiet. Then I realized he was still staring at me and gave him a thumbs up.

Jade Jaguar laughed. "Good enough. Have a nice day."

I gave Catboy a wave as he leapt away and mentally slapped myself. If something went wrong, I'd be seeing Jade Jaguar soon in less than friendly circumstances.

I found a gas station a few minutes later and hurried inside to change into my suit, then teleported to the grocery store Menace told me to meet her at.

At least there aren't any power dampeners in here. Just a pissed redhead. Even worse, on second thought.

"You're late," Menace deadpanned as I looked around, my heart pounding.

I forced a grin even though Menace couldn't see it. "Sorry about that, I slept through my alarm."

That's obviously a lie. I barely even sleep after what happened to Christina. It's too cold and the times I do fall asleep I have nightmares.

How am I even still standing at this point?

I don't know. It's easy to pretend I'm okay behind this mask. When I'm Fade, I'm not that little girl on the streets struggling to live through the night.

"Empty the registers, Fade."

The scene around me was enough to make me nauseous. I tried not to focus on it, pushing it out of my mind.

Menace had everybody on their knees, holding a knife in her hand. She was sitting on a counter used for people to bag up their groceries, waiting for me.

I bit back a sharp comment and teleported to the closest register. It was already opened. All of them were, the money inside them just wasn't bagged up yet. I grabbed a bag beside Menace and got to work.