Thirty-Seven

The sky is a mural of purple and gold when we step out onto the roof. The sun sits just below the horizon, wispy clouds suspended in the allure of twilight. It brings the gold in Luke's flaxen hair to life.

It is beautiful, and perfect. I feel a world away from the events of this morning.

But this is the same sky, the same trees and hills that we share with the rest of the world. We breathe the same air. Here on this rooftop in the expanse of space, I begin to see how we are all part of the same ecosystem, existing simultaneously.

I turn, wanting to share it with Luke only to find him fiddling with the latch to a small dome-like building projecting from the roof. When the door opens with a creak, he glances at me with that dimpled grin I can't seem to get enough of.

"Ladies first," he invites, and I practically skip over, curiosity taking the reins. I slip by him and enter the room. The ceiling above is vaulted, curving over our heads. Luke flips a switch and a bar of lights circle the room, casting us in a cool glow.

"What is this place?" I ask breathily, trailing my fingers over the rows of upholstered seats, most of which are moth-eaten. Out of all the strange places I've encountered in the Outlands, this is the most alien.

Luke motions for me to follow him up onto a dais where a long cylindrical instrument stands. When Luke pivots it carefully and reaches to adjust a knob, I finally recognize it.

"I've never seen a telescope so gigantic!" My smile is audible in the words.

"Want to try it out?" Luke asks, and I make no delay to move to his side. The instrument is cold to the touch, made of old, thick metal. I blow some dust off of the tube, the motes dancing through the air.

"One more thing," Luke says, striding over to a lever on the wall. He turns the handle over and over, cranking the gears. Before I know it, a panel of the roof opens up, sliding back to reveal the quickly-darkening sky.

"It's like we're in a spaceship," I giggle, recalling the settings from some of my favorite books. "You're not going to abduct me, are you? Steal me away like some space pirate?"

Luke winks. "Maybe I will. Pirates like to keep the valuables for themselves." A peculiar tingle climbs down my spine at his words.

Then, he walks over to me and places his arms on either side of me, leaning in. For a moment, I can't breathe, can't think about anything except that he's close enough to kiss. I can smell him, all pine and salt.

Then, as if remembering himself, he steps back, and something inside me shrinks. I attempt to shrug it off by focusing on the telescope. I pivot it as he did, making sure the angle is just right before leaning over to peer through the eyepiece.

There is nothing but a blur at first, but then my hands find the knobs, adjusting the lens until specs of light shine through.

"The stars," I murmur, panning, hoping, wishing. What else could there be out there? I imagine a shooting star. A falling comet. I step back, a stupid grin on my face. "Your turn."

Luke takes over, expertly panning and twisting until he lets out a satisfied hum. I watch him work, taking him in while he isn't looking.

Even bent over, he is taller than me. The muscles of his back are prominent under his dark shirt, sleeves hugging those arms I crave to be around me once again. He could overpower me if he wanted to, yet, no one has ever made me feel so safe.

"Take a look," he says, gently pulling me in front of him to view what he focused on. Busy trying to steady my breathing, I don't realize what I'm seeing at first. The swirling bands of red jolt me back to science and astronomy lessons. I remember sitting before the pictures of the planets in our textbooks, impossibly distant in our expanse of the universe.

But here it is, right before my eyes.

"Jupiter," I voice in quiet amazement, mesmerized by the rusty whorls.

I suddenly feel so small, a mere pinprick of life in all of the cosmos. At the feel of Luke's hand on my back, an unexplainable feeling swells within me. The two of us, we exist alongside these magnificent celestial bodies. There are infinite things larger than us, infinite possibilities, yet we are lucky enough to be a part of the same constellation.

"This is amazing, Luke," I whisper, straightening to meet his eyes in earnest. "Thank you. I've never seen anything more..." the words stick to my cheeks, unwilling to come out. Beautiful, I want to say. Fascinating. But I have seen something far better.

I've seen the journey of a weathered boy and a coward girl. I've witnessed two people come together despite perpetual obstacles. I've felt growth within me, and looked at how far we have come. I've witnessed the wonder of the stars with a man who, at one time, didn't exist in my life. That is the most extraordinary thing I have experienced in my few years on this blue-green planet.

I help Luke close the dome and we exit the observatory. It's full dark, but my eyes have adjusted. We sit on the roof, under the jet black blanket of night, the moon and stars the only light as far as the eyes can see.

"If we can't find a cure, if it doesn't work," I quaver, "What will happen?" I avoid looking at anything but the sky. "What will your father do when his plan doesn't work?" For the first time, I allow myself to explore other outcomes. If I can't give Summus Aspen what he wants, will he release Markee? Will he be angry, and take it out on Luke?

Luke is still as the night beside me. Only our breaths are heard in the small space between us.

"I will find a way."