「 one 」

A SINGLE spotlight shined in the middle of the empty stage. Little noises filled the air that was easy to be spotted by how deadly silent it was. Pens were clicking as pages were turning. It was building up Millie's anxiety. She's practically played her piece countless of times up to the point where she might've forgotten everything. It was another one of her monthly auditions, but this one was different.

This audition will lead her to the greatest symphonic orchestra that's ever existed in this country. This will finally lead her to the career that she's been dreaming of all her life, the career that she's been studying on for her whole life. If she messes this up, then all her life's work will be shattered into a million pieces.

Millie watches through the side of the stage as a man in a simple grey suit that wasn't all too appealing to see. He had overly large glasses resting on the bridge of his nose as he held up a list of musicians auditioning. This caused Millie to fiddle with the strings of her instrument. She tried breathing to help calm her nerves but it seems like nothing was working.

"Violinist, Millie Bobby Brown will be playing Song Without Words, No. 3 by Tchaikovsky." Millie sucked in a breath as she lead her way to the front of the empty stage. A row of judges all who have been playing some type of instrument for all their life were seated side by side in the front row. With only a few lights on for each judge, every single one of them had their eyes glued on to Millie's resume that she's used in every audition she's ever attended and occasionally updated it with new events she's done.

One of the several judges had a microphone in front of them, clears there throat. Everyone's eyes were pulled away from her resume and rested on the sight of Millie standing in the middle of the spotlight. Every single one of them stared at her boringly, seeing her as another little musician trying to get into a big symphonic career.

"Is this the only resume that you have?" The judge with the microphone asks once Millie stood front and center. Millie grew flustered by his question.

"Um, yes sir." She squeaks. She noticed his tired expression as he sat back and waved for her to start. Millie inhaled as she placed her violin in the correct position and began playing her heart out. Her bow slid against each string with such precision, her fingers weren't as smooth as they usually were when they switched from one string to another. Her eyes were shut tightly as she struggled to stay in the correct tempo. She finally reaches the end of the song with one last stroke against the string.

Millie finally opens her eyes as she slowly pulls her bow away from the strings of her violin with a shaky breath. The room was silent and not a single judge was staring at her. Not a single person applauds with her work. They were either scribbling things on their notes which is common to see at an audition or judges whispering to other judges which aren't always a good thing to see. After a long dreadful pause, the same judge with the microphone cleared his throat.

"Thank you umm. . ." He turns back to her resume. "Millie. We'll be contacting you if you're needed." Millie nods as she leads her way off the stage.

Millie let out a tired sigh once she walked out of the theater that has held countless award-winning performances, performances that she's dreamt of playing in. She gripped the handle of her violin case as she began walking through the crowded streets of New York.

She was born and raised in this giant city that she practically knows the ins and outs of this entire city. She was used to walking through the streets on her own. She knew which ways to avoid and which not to. It was a weekday so many were rushing there way to the subway with Millie blending through the crowd.

She would occasionally pass by a few musicians that would perform in the streets. She would take time to listen to them and even get to know them. She knew how tough it was being a musician so the least she could do is take a moment to listen to them.