29. Our little secret

There he stood tousled in perfection, his dark and lustrous hair fell just below his ears, framing his face and enhancing his strong jawline. His flawless chiselled features stood out and I slowly drank in his appearance. He was wearing a black and white tribal print polo t-shirt, with black chinos and black combat boots.

His soft, gentle, soulful eyes looked at me and his expression went from caught off guard to hurt and sad. The look in his eyes were so lonesome. The glint they had that revealed a world of darkness and danger even though he would try to hide it with a fake smile, his eyes revealed it all. The dark, colourless eyes that mourned his despair... he had lost any sign of happiness within him.

My eyes grew misty. I sat on the top step of the stairs and hugged my knees tight to my face. I tried not to, I did, one perfectly round drop edged down my numb cheek. I buried my head in my hands out of sheer loneliness I had without him, I never knew how bad it was to lose a loved one until the day I thought I lost him and he didn't return, more salty droplets seeped from my eyes.

I looked weak, the one thing I did not want to look. But worst of all, I felt weak, I felt powerless and all I wanted to do was cry.

I felt the wet hot tears fill up my eyes, my throat closed tight and each word pitched higher than the last in an effort to squeak out the words that were bottled up inside me. Finally the tears spilt over and flowed down my face like a river escaping a dam.

"Chika." He ran up the stairs in a hurry and wrapped his arms around me. He held me tightly, his breath hot against my neck. I squeezed and ran my fingers through his hair. He leaned down, his head heavy on my shoulder. I moved but we continued to hold each other.

"You idiot." I spat at him as the tears continued to flow down my face.

"I'm sorry, chika. I-"

"Go shove your sorry up your bum!" I shouted and began to punch his chest. I didn't stop and kept at it until I saw a single tear shed down his cheek. "Why didn't you come to us? Why didn't you tell us you were alive? Why didn't you show yourself? Why didn't you come back to me?"

I could feel my bottom lip begin to tremble and so I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck, pulling him in closer. I felt a single tear drop on to my neck. He leaned closer into me, and pulled I decided to pull myself even closer to him. The world around me melted away as I squeezed him back, not wanting the moment to end. I felt safe in his strong arms once again and when he let go, I knew that the only place I wanted to be was with him.

"I'll give you guys your moment, I'm going to my room. You two go downstairs." Jase chuckled from behind me. I suddenly felt incredibly guilty. Jase and Dante were brothers they had a priority to hug and talk first. They were family. I looked at Jase's face and saw his eyes had gone red and slightly puffy. He was biting his lip to stop himself from crying in front of his younger brother.

Jase simply smiled at me and mouthed at me telling it was okay. He ruffled my hair before going to his room.

"Haley?" Dante called my name so quietly I wasn't sure if I had even heard him, but I glanced up all the same to see his eyes fixed on me. Unsure of what I should do, I gazed into his calm green eyes and he swiftly scooped me off the stairway and took me downstairs like I weighed nothing.

The second we had reached the living room he had placed me back on my own two feet. I was so annoyed, angry and pissed off at him but I loved him.

Trapped in his embrace, I tried to escape but he was too strong; plus I didn't want to anyways. My skin lit on fire as he glided his hands across my lower back, luring me in closer and closer. My eyes widened in shock as he kissed me softly and after I had gotten over the shock I began to kiss back.