Godric Hollow

James Potter opened the door to their house and looked down at the baby lying in the basket on his doorstep.

"What on earth?" He scooped the baby up and closed the door to the cold. Inside the house a woman came over to him.

"James, what's wrong?" Lily Potter asked her recently married husband.

"A child was left on the doorstep. With two letters and a vial of," He looked at the vial closely, "memories." Lily took the baby and the letter with her name on it.

"Go check those memories in the Pensieve. I'll go warm the child up." The couple parted and Lily wrapped the baby girl in blankets before opening the letter.

Dear Lily,

I'm not entirely sure if you remember me but my name is Eira Prince. I'm unsure if my brother told you but Serverus Snape is my half-brother. I understand that you will be angry at me but I only ask that you don't take it out on my daughter. Her name is Edelweiss Prince, but she is also a Potter. I've felt guilty for months and hope you can accept my apology for being 'that' woman. I know you will be angry at James, but it was not entirely his fault. I wiped his memory of that night. I'll tell you what happened. Around 9 months ago, I went to a bar in London, simply to forget everything for one night. There I found a seriously drunk Potter going on and on about how the woman he loved refused his proposal. Neither Remus or Black were there and I knew I couldn't leave him there. I booked him a room in the Leaky Cauldron planning on leaving him there for the night with Tom to look after him, but before I could leave I collapsed. Before I continue I need to explain something, my body is extremely weak and I am very ill. The reason I'd wanted to forget was because my healer at St. Mungo's told me I had around a year left to live. I don't want any pity and I'm certainly not using it as an excuse for what happened but it is part of the reason why. James caught me before I hit the ground and insisted I tell him what was wrong. I told him only if he promised not to tell anyone. You see I hadn't told my brother yet and was worried about how he would react, since the two of you stopped being friends he's been extremely dark and depressed and I didn't want to worry him. So James told me to sit, have a drink and talk. I told him everything about my illness how I had very little time left and how I didn't want to leave my brother behind. His intentions were completely pure when he comforted me but we were both drunk and weren't thinking straight. When I woke up and realized what I'd done I obliviated him. He woke up in the Leaky Cauldron alone thinking Pettigrew took him there. My daughter is also James's daughter and I hope that you can overlook the fact that she isn't related to you by blood and raise her in my place. The pregnancy is taking a toll on my body and I won't survive long after giving birth. By the time you get this letter I will have passed on. The letter to James explains the same thing, but with an apology for obliviating him in addition to one for everything else. I'm so sorry for hurting you Lily.

-Eira Prince

P.S. Please don't tell Severus about Edelweiss. He is in a very dark place right now and the last thing his needs is contact with Potter.