Chapter 9: Sick

(Redacted/ edited).

Tuesday.

Leah(p.o.v):

As usual Brendan picked me up and we headed to school.  I noticed he wasn't as bubbly as he usually is in the mornings.  He was still the same guy but less energetic. 

We made it to school and had our regular clases until last period. I had it with Brendan and his cheeks looked so flushed. He even look sticky like he had been sweating all day long.

"Are you okay?" I texted him. I quickly glance at him over my shoulder since he would sit all the way in the back. His face was laying down on the desk with his arms around it.
The teacher came over and our last period started.

"I think I'm getting sick"- he  finally texted me back close to the end of class.

Finally we were done, I quickly went to check on Brendan and his temperature. His forehead was definitely warm.

"You should go home, I can explain Sebastian- I mean Mr.Ulliel that you're not feeling well. I Can also do your work if you want."

He gave me a half smile and then squeezed my cheek. "Thank you. I'll drive you to the university and head home. I feel awful."

"You don't have to, I can take an uber."

"Leah, let me. I'm not foaming from the mouth... yet." He laughed.

Once he dropped me off I realized I was going to be alone with Sebastian! My heart race and I noticed my hands got sweaty.

"Take a deep breath"- I said to myself. I decided to go to the bakery and get us some coffee. That's what a good assistant would do right?

I went to Sebastian's office, I was carrying two cups of coffee, black with one teaspoon of sugar just like he likes it and I got him a chocolate croissant.

I noticed the door was ajar and heard some laughs. A woman and a man. I tiptoed enough to take a peek while holding the coffees.

"Oh my God, what are you doing?" The female voice said between giggles. That's when I noticed Lydia. She was buttoning her shirt while Sebastian playfully pretended to try to pull her shirt down.
"Stop someone could come in" she whispered while pushing him away. He grabbed her by the waist and kissed her on the lips.
I immediately turned around and  fast walked to the end of the hall.

"Unbelievable" I whispered. I took a deep breath.

I hurried back to the office but this time I knocked hard on the door and came in.

"Oh oh my God, I'm so sorry. I saw the door open and since I thought I could come in. I'm sorry."

"No, no. Leah it's okay come in. Lydia was just leaving." He said nodding at her. Lydia excused herself and closed the door.

"I really didn't mean to interrupt."

"Please do not apologize. She was just leaving. Where is Brendan?" He asked sitting back on his chair.

"Oh yes, he got sick during sixth period so it was best for him to go home. He is very sorry for missing."

"I see. I hope he feels better."

"Thank you, I can do his work or whatever extra you need."

"That's nice of you. Is he your boyfriend?"

"Umm-"

"Oh sorry, that's personal." He said.

"Noooo, haha no Brendan is not my boyfriend. He is my best friend. By the way here." I was still holding the coffees and the croissant. I placed them on the desk.

"I brought you some coffee and a croissant." I said with a big smile. He smiled back at me and grabbed the white paper bag.

"I love croissants. Thank you." He glanced at my eyes but he quickly looked away. Ugh .

"Well let's get to work Leah, I had a busy day and I have to grade a bunch of exams. On the computer you have the test will all the answer. Please help me grade those. Again, alphabetical order."

"Of course. Whatever you need." I said.

The day went by smoothly and Sebastian, I mean Mr. Ulliel actually tried to get to know me. He asked about my favorite classes, how my little brother was doing.

"Oh by the way sir-"

"No, no, no, don't sit me. I'm not that old." He laughed.

"I'm sorry. I wanted say, I spoke to my dad about dinner. He wanted to know what day is more convenient for you?"

"Oh, I have to see but I will let you know this week."

"Sounds good." Not the answer that I was looking for but maybe is best not to push things.

That day I got home early, Eddie was napping and Esteban wasn't home. I was home alone... well home alone with Eddies nanny.
Xena had gone into town to buy groceries.

I called Brendan but he didn't answer so I just texted him making sure everything is okay.

I was in the my mom when I heard a knock on the door. Come in- I said expecting to see little Eddie or Xena but it was dad.

"Daddy!" I got up and gave him a hug.

"You're here early. I mean, I'm surprised you're here. I thought we weren't seeing you until tomorrow."

"One of the major surgeries for today was reschedule for Thursday morning. So I get to go home today early and hangout with you guys."

"That's nice. Well I have to do some homework but if you want we can watch a movie."

"Sounds good. I'm surprised your little friend is not here."

"Brendan? Oh he is actually a little sick. I actually, hey I was going to ask if I can miss first period tomorrow?"

"What?!"

"I want to go to Brendan's house and bring him some soup, snacks..."

"Why don't you go now?"

"Because dad, most mornings he is alone. They don't have a housekeeper just a cleaning lady that comes twice a week. Ryan is never home."

"Fine but just first period. I'll write you a note."

"Thank you." I said giving him a hug. It was nice to see him more often. Best option to mention the dinner will be once we are settling to watch the movie. I know he will be okay with it anyways.

********

Butter. I got woken up by the smell of butter, I opened my eyes and there it was a big bowl of popcorn. "Hmm?"

"You fell asleep kiddo. Ready for the movie? Do you prefer to have dinner? Xena left some stuff in the oven."

"Let's watch the movie dad."