c h a p t e r - t w e n t y o n e

That day had finally come you know. The day where I was trapped in my own little shell, where I had very minimal space to move, to get away and to escape from the problems that towered over me. Of course I couldn't complain too much because it could be worse; I could be dead and without protection.

However for now, I was at the part where I lost my job and now I was temporarily moving out of my apartment because Cole thought it wasn't safe and to top it all off, Cole had made sure to have a small "talk" with the landlord so that I wouldn't get charged for the next month's rent and what did I do? I sat in the car and waited.

Exhaustion clouded my mind as I warmed up in Cole's car. His scent was driving me crazy and the last thing that I wanted right now was to be with the man who...who could pull me out of this and be my saviour again. I continued breathing the heavy scented air while blinking, trying to not fall asleep.

My head rolled forward and my eyelids had tightened together where sleep had enveloped me into its arms. Behind my eyelids I saw darkness while the voice in my mind persuaded me that I was just closing my eyes, just resting for a little bit. The warmth was coating me and I was protected, I was safe.

I woke a second later with a start. My frantic eyes looked outside the car windows as the beat of my heart thumped painfully against my chest as I tried to find any clue of someone. There was no one outside though, not a single person was wandering around the pavements or the streets, so I breathed in and out before leaning back in my seat.

A yelp sounded from my mouth when I heard the driver's side of the door open, only to see Cole's figure move into the car. Blood sounded heavily in my ears as I tried to calm myself down, but it was beginning to feel impossible with the scents, the thoughts, the warmth. I didn't want this, I wanted to be alone.

"Cora!" My breathing had ceased when I heard Cole shout over the radio, over the beating of my heart. I looked at him through my blurry eyes as I found the way to breathe again and instantly, Cole brought me into his arms as I cried. This was too quick, I was breathing too quickly, I was showing myself to Cole way too quickly, but he was my husband. He knew.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

If there was anything that I had learnt about Cole, it was the fact that he loved his things to be in a precise way. So I wasn't surprised to see everything in order when we made it to his house, where I was met with a detached atmosphere, but I couldn't care less. The dried up tears had made my eyes want more of sleep.

I had lost my job, my boyfriend and I was back with Cole. Nothing ached for his touch right now, nothing. It was an unusual numbing tingle that was circling around my body like some kind of weird disease. It's like I didn't want to feel anything anymore, everything was just there but not for me to feel anything.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I followed Cole to wherever he was walking to. My eyes wandered over the place he called home and I couldn't help but let my eyes linger on certain pictures to see if there was anyone new in them...like Darcy. Why would she be in any of the pictures? She's old news, you're always his news.

I shook my head and continued behind Cole. His house was odd because the stairs was at a completely different place to where I thought it would have been, which was near the kitchen. I almost laughed when I saw the bare place, it really didn't feel like a home here. Then again, it was Cole that lived here.

A lump lodged itself in my throat again when I remembered our house first house. We both managed to find the heart to let that place go, maybe Cole had gotten over it quicker than I had because it was me who made it seem like more of a home. What even was I talking about? You are just excited about going into your husband's room.