Part 17

"Okash. (wait)." She holds him back. "Parraperry!" She shrieks/whistles.

Two people drop from the surface in front of them. "Morr. Kai. Novina seko. "(Morr. Kai. You come.)" Then the they see Alexander. "Moufesi? Ay zgeg. (Prisoner? We bring.)" the tallest one of the new two says.

"Ugrre. I zgeg! (Not! I bring!)" She grabs Alexanders arm. He hisses as she tightens her finger. She makes a concerned noise and lets him go.

"Oohhh! Kai ale uume? (Kai falled love?)" The shortest one says.

"Fie!" She ducks her head threateningly.

"Sa. (Sorry.)" He holds up his hands apologetically. "Sa Kai. Novina zgeg. malik seko cakae Morr? (Sorry kai. You bring. Come with, Morr?)" the very first one nods. "Sa." The short one says again when he sees her glaring at him.

She pats him on the head and stops glaring. "Kocaie. Seko edifh tence, Smoke. (good. Come hurry walk, smoke.)" she pokes him. They climb out of the tunnel, into the bright sky and blazing hot sand. Alexander tries to ignore it but runs with everyone as all the rest of the barefooted people streak to the waters edge. They dash to the water where they slosh along with the water above their ankles. It's nice, besides the fact that Alexander can see fish in the water and shivers the whole time.

Coming to a big rock in the water, one of them, the tall one, starts to run again. Then the short one runs ahead. Then they cut off into the sand again. A big ring of rocks in when they walk back into the sea up to their ankles. She shriek/whistles again. "Parraperry!"

An answering "Perrrrraaaiiii!" Comes from the rocks.

"Seko. (Come.)" She starts pulling Alexander along. Inside the rocks is something that makes Alexadner shake his head and sigh. The whole group of shifter/thieves on one side, surrounded by more sand people "Warriors". All of thieves are senseless, so the weapons of the men are held loosely, even as Alexander and the first two sand people walk up. There's a lot of the other sand people, both men and woman and children sitting along in the rocks. A shade is set up, stretching from the top of two big rocks from the circle and two long tree branches stuck in the sand. Underneath that shade, which is the skin of some animals, is a man. On either side of him he has two big sand colored dogs. Behind him is an old woman, who whispers something to the man. His eyes snap open and he frowns. The woman with Alexadner bows, pulling him to bowing and the other one bows too.

When the man under the shade speaks, he points at Alexadner, "Kai. Fta zgeg novina eie ay? (Who bring you to we?)"

She stands, pulling them both up too. "Eowe. I zgeg kocaie moufesi! (Chief. I bring good prisoner!)" She says.

He clicks his tongue disapprovingly, then stands slowly. She and the very first one step away. He walks around Alexander poking him. "Vugrre oufh maziva, Kai. (Don't look like much, Kai.)"

"Sa. (Sorry)." She says shrugging. "I-" she whispers something to him.

"oh." Alexander realizes something. He smiles.

The chief stands in front of both. "Moufesi kae bat gouse. Gru cheri yukr? (Prisoner face motion strange. It have name?)" he looks at Alexanders smile. Then looks back at her.

"Smoke." She says. "Kocaie, Smoke? Good smoke?)" he nods. People starts to whisper.

"Ex Kai thien? (Is kai crazy)" one of the sand people whispers.

"Thien malik ex, zgeg gouse moufesi. Oukh gouse moufesi... (Crazy they is, bring strange prisoners. Lots strange prisoners.)" Another whispers back.

"Kai thien! Fta zgeg- (Kai crazy! Who bring-)" Another starts.

"Zurikee! (Silence!)" the chief shouts. Silence from everyone. "Ugrre greic eie malik Kai mo! (Not Speak to they, Kai That!)" He glares.