Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

Not surprisingly, Mars turned out to be a cunning and skilful player. Conn thought he could still have taken him but for some reason his fingers kept brushing against Conn's as they both unexpectedly reached for a piece, and Conn soon found he was concentrating more on trying to avoid Mars rather than the game. He lost the first game unusually quickly. Reluctantly he agreed to a second, getting more and more flustered until he caught the flash of keen amusement in his opponent's eyes. 

"You're doing that on purpose!" he accused indignantly. 

"What?" asked the other man in wide eyed innocence. 

"If you don't stop, I won't play another game!" he demanded, then froze as he remembered who he was talking to. Had he really said that? He waited breathlessly for the other man's reaction, had he just blown the mission or not? 

Mars ran his tongue over his lips and dropped his gaze so Conn wouldn't see the heat in his eyes. Did he know how adorable he was when he stood up to him? It was almost more fun teasing him than having him for a lover. Almost. He wished he could carry him into his quarters and ... He pulled himself together, that wasn't going to happen and he wanted a game. 

"I'll behave," he promised with a grin. 

Conn won the next game to his satisfaction, and Mars' surprised approval. "That was well played! Best out of three?"  

Conn found he actually enjoyed the next game, Mars could be amusing company when he wasn't trying to molest him. He carried on a scathing critique of the current politics on Bast, which had Conn grinning in appreciation more than once. 

The pirate Captain only just managed to win the third game. "I enjoyed that," he said, sitting back in his chair, smiling into Conn's eyes. "Will you play with me again tomorrow? You could come to my quarters, we'd be more private there..."  

"I won't go to your cabin," came the firm reply, "but I'll have another game with you here, if you like, Captain." 

The nightly game of Mah-jong became a habit. Each night, Mars teasingly extended the invitation to play with him in his quarters and each night Conn politely but firmly refused. He didn't notice when he began to find the small ritual amusing rather than threatening.  

Another man he found congenial was the ship's medic, Andrews. They both enjoyed an ancient art form called 'opera' and Andrews was happy to share his collection with him and engage in a spirited discussion over which composer was the best. To his initial dismay, Conn soon discovered Andrews was an om. He told him his story quite openly over a cup of coffee in the common room one afternoon. 

"I had a job as Medic in the Patrol for a year, but then they found out I was an om and threw me out," he grimaced at the memory. "I couldn't get another job, so as soon as Nick asked me to join him, I didn't hesitate." 

"Nick?" Conn couldn't help asking. "Sorry, it's none of my business," he apologised hastily. 

"It's alright, I don't mind. Yes, we were lovers for awhile, but ... it didn't last. We're still friends though," the medic sipped his coffee. 

"Doesn't it bother you, all these men he takes as his uh, companions?" Conn had to ask, staring in disbelief.  

"Ah, well," Andrews looked uncomfortable. "It's none of my business." He looked evenly at Conn. "Just as it would be none of my business if ever you and he-" 

"Never, that's never going to happen!" Conn interrupted. "I'm completely straight! Captain Mars knows that," he added heatedly. 

"Oh? Well in that case you don't have to worry." Andrews smiled faintly. 

Conn wasn't wholly convinced, although it did seem that Mars kept his hands off the crew, unless they were willing like Andrews. Apparently it was only his victims that he considered fair game. 

XXX 

A week later, Mars had found his next target. A merchant vessel was scheduled to transport a large shipment of silver from Isis to Bast and from the information Mars had, it would be heavily guarded by an all female crew. The pirate captain smiled to himself, evidently they were expecting him to launch an attack. However, he had no intention of targeting the freighter. On the contrary, it would act as a decoy to distract the Patrol while he focussed on his real target, a small vessel carrying one of the mining barons from Burra on an exploratory mission to check out the potential for his company on Isis. 

The first the crew knew of the plan was an announcement by Nowak to get ready for another boarding party drill. Never one to share his plans too widely, Mars was taking extra care this time to ensure that there was no opportunity for Conn, or anyone else for that matter, to send off a warning. Only when the men were all at their stations did Nowak tell them the raid was genuine. Levi and Conn remained under orders on the Zeron, watching while Mars led a team of pirates armed with nerve gas canisters and stunners on board the small vessel. 

Conn waited anxiously, knowing he could not afford to interfere, in fact he had to be prepared to help with the assault if he was called on, but all the while hoping no-one would be hurt. He reminded himself this could be his opportunity, if the Zeron retreated to one of Mars' hideouts he would have achieved the main goal of his mission. 

Less than half an hour later, Mars reappeared, his triumphant boarding party increased by one. Conn saw a young man, his black hair hiding his face, being carried over the shoulder of one of the larger men. 

"Take him straight to my quarters, Klee." Mars directed. "Nowak, get us underway as fast as you can. We don't want to hang around!" he smiled at the crew. "From the look on Ser Landon's face, I don't think it will be long before we get our credits." 

Conn bit his tongue to silence the protests that had flooded into his mouth at the sight of the young hostage. Everyone knew he had fled Mut to join Mars' crew. It would hardly be in character to complain about his methods now.  

Despite his efforts, he must have made some small sound because Mars glanced across at him. To Conn's shocked disgust, he winked broadly. Conn fought desperately to keep his face expressionless, but Mars came up to him, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Don't worry, he'll be fine, it's just business," he told him seriously. For a moment he looked as if he was going to say something else, but then took refuge again in banter. "No need to be jealous!" He winked again. 

Conn coloured up despite himself. "Of course not, I' m sorry sir," he apologised immediately, irritated with himself for letting his feelings show. He was supposed to be a pirate for god's sake, he had to get a grip, toughen up. He couldn't save this young man, but he would save the next. 

It wasn't until later that night, just as he was on the verge of sleep that he realised why he had been so upset by Mars' behaviour. He had been starting to like the man.