18. "I Promise"

Niall plopped down at the side of the river as the others walked towards their trainers.

He watched as Lou excitedly gestured around. Mark interrupted her a few times to elaborate some stuff. After a few minutes the boys nodded and the divided into two groups. Louis and Zayn went off with Mark and Harry and Liam stayed Lou.

As Louis and Zayn walked past him, Louis gave him a quick wink and then moved some rocks behind him, making Zayn stumble.

The firebender however managed to catch himself, but still looked a bit confused. He took a glance at Niall, who gestured at Louis with his head.

Zayn rolled his eyes. Then suddenly, he dove forward onto the older boy. Taking him down to the ground.

Louis screeched as he felt the weight pushing him on the ground.

Zayn himself managed to make a perfect ninja roll and was up in a matter of seconds. He casually wiped of the sand from his trousers like nothing had happened.

"Okay, boys. We're going to-"

Only when Mark turned around he noticed the earthbender.

"Wha- Louis. Why are you on the ground?"

The boy grumbled something incomprehensible as he glared at Zayn.

Zayn simple stuck out his tongue with a playful smile around his lips.

"Right," the trainer just said. "I guess it's better if we start now."

Both trainers had the boys go through some warm-ups.

After that they worked on some of their individual moves.

.

.

Niall carelessly drew into the sand as the boys went through their warm-ups. Still not completely agreeing that he had to be there.

However when he saw the boys working on their own moves, he started paying attention again.

Especially focusing on Liam.

The waterbender showed Lou how he had perfected his water gimbal.

Niall was amazed by it. Up to now he had only seen the boy bend small amounts of water. He hadn't seen him do such a big move.

And he had never tried a move that big. Except for that one time.

"We're going to play football in a minute. Do you want to join?"

"I wish I could come," Niall tells his friend as he lifts his backpack from the ground, "but I promised my mom I would help her around the house with some chores."

The other boy nods. Though he really wants the blond to come play, so that he can be on his team. Niall is the best player in their town. He is quick, agile and knows how to adapt to his opponent. But the boy won't ask him try to convince him to come. Every Fire Nation kid knows that you have to obey the adults. Even when it's no fun at all.

Niall watches his friends walk to the football field. Then he turns to walk to his house.

When he comes to his house, he quickly peers inside. Empty. His mom always goes to his granny on Wednesdays.

He looks around, runs past his house, straight into the woods.

After thirty minutes, he stops. He perks up his ears. Smiling as he hears the streaming water.

He pushes through the bushes and then he is in his secret spot.

An open place in the middle of the woods with a river beside it.