Chapter Four

Officer Derrick Walsh had nearly convinced himself that Walters had given him Tourette syndrome by the time he came across the city gates. He swore and cursed and spat almost nonstop and felt frequent tics in his right eye. The bastard had stolen his horse and his prized possession. He had saved for that recording device since he was a boy and had only so recently reached the financial stability to make the purchase.

Walters' steed, an indistinct mix-breed of poor health, was not properly trained, and Derrick had angrily accepted that he could not control its speed. He had resorted to taking the horse when he'd found his beloved Porsche missing and seen the foul Abraham Walters ride off on her saddle. Derrick understood when he saw the man's back that they were no longer in it 'together'. Though they never had been, he had always been positive that he had the upper hand. It was a foul feeling. Defeat. He had been deceived.

He dismounted the old stallion, whom he had named Gus, as they neared Ban-Ken's gate. Two guards stood outside, dressed in the same green as he. He rubbed his sore rump and tucked his package, a collection of uniforms as part of his job, under his arm. The saddle-less riding left Derrick staggering on his feet.

"Officer Walsh," one guard called, "you're early. You are not due back for at least a week. Isn't that right, Thomas?"

The other guard grunted. "As long as he does what he's supposed to out there."

"We have your horse," said the first.

Derrick's heart fluttered. He lifted his head and dropped the rope lead of Gus. "And her rider?" He carried on towards them and shook hands with the first guard, a man named Allen Ledbury. He then shook hands with Thomas Lee. He left Gus behind. The horse stood dumbly.

Ledbury took the package off him. "I wasn't on that shift. But I hear someone recognized the thief from someplace or other. He is in a cell, be sure. Keeps asking to speak to Lord Pallis."

"His I.D card says that he's from here, but we have no record of it," said Lee. "Likely forged, I reckon. You're welcome to give him a beating. The whole guard knows he stole your horse. We don't have the jurisdiction to sentence him until we can confirm that he isn't one of ours. Of course, the only crimes we know he has committed are thievery and carrying a firearm without a license. Not exactly death sentence material, but we can push it. We often do, to save ourselves cell space and keep crime low, you know."

"Yeah, I know," Derrick said. "Listen, he isn't one of ours. Not anymore."

"You know this man?"

"If you want to identify him, check the Deceased Records. He was banished a few months ago."

"Banished?"

Derrick smirked. "Yeah. I turned him in for not doing his job right and got a promotion out of it. Son-of-a-bitch wasn't supposed to come back. Bring me to him. I am going to tear him apart."

Lee and Ledbury each placed their hands on scanners, then entered in their individual passwords on the digital lock. Derrick stripped off his coat and vest and tie, then pushed up his sleeves. The gate opened when the two guards simultaneously pressed buttons.

Derrick rolled his shoulders.

"You can't kill him just yet," Ledbury reminded. "We do have laws."

"I can get close."

"Attaboy."

***

Blearly, ill, and sore, Master Hughes, Alyn, and Patriot opened their eyes groggily to a new scene. The horse was tied to a wooden post, while the others sat against the grimy wall. It was lighter here. There was close to normal evening light beneath the shadow of the wall. They could see. A nearby lantern further improved their vision.