Chapter Seven

July 10th, 2761

The map of Ban-Ken was rolled up in his mother's grasp as she paced back and forth before him and listened to his recitations. Drew, for the umpteenth time, recited the districts of the city, and the names of the thirty guard towers that lined the city wall. With every mispronunciation, repetition, or hesitation, she shrilly called for him to start over.

It had been the same for hours every day of that week, and Drew's mind was prone to stray from the task at hand, drifting to fanciful thoughts.

"The West End includes?" Lady Shir prodded.

Drew raised his eyes to the ceiling, took a breath, and began.

Pallis sat at the library's window with his afternoon cigarette, watching with clear amusement. Six years prior, he had gone through the same rigorous learning. The Shir boys had to learn early, for their mother did not tolerate any less progression. Naturally, Pallis had taken to the task prodigally.

"Berthold, the Tree Farm is outside of our walls. You do not count it," she snapped, "especially not as if it were a part of the West End. It is absolutely excluded from our city." It was not the first time that he had added the ruins to his listing. It happened to be on his mind. "It is a pile of abandoned waste, and nothing more. We do not waste our laborers or resources on watching over it. There are no towers there. Get this through your head, Berthold. Forget about the Tree Farm."

"Sorry, mother," Drew mumbled.

"Don't mumble. Pronunciate, or do not speak at all."

"I'm sorry, Mother," he repeated, loud and clear.

Pallis exhaled a stream of smoke and spoke up. "Berthold." He never used the boy's preferred name in Lady Shir's presence. "That wreck of a place is in the middle of nowhere. No one goes there, and no one wants to. Perhaps with the exception of a low-grade scrapper or two in search for materials." He paused, then grinned at Lady Shir. "We should pay it a visit, mother, don't you think? A little hands-on-learning couldn't hurt. You've both been cooped up in this library for a week. Let's go on a family excursion!"

Drew brightened, looking to his mother. "Can we?" The child had never left the manor before. He knew every nook and cranny of the above-ground floors, even the ground level, and therefore knew of every exit. Still, he had never left, because he had always been told not to. Unlike visiting Thumbtack, that warning he had heeded.

Lady Shir stroked her chin as she considered the idea. Her eyes locked with her elder son's. With a mildly coy expression, he made a discrete gesture—a nod, a slight motion of the hand—that Drew didn't understand, and the Lady, in return, looked to Drew and placed the map down on the desk before the boy.

"Dress yourselves more respectably. Comb your hair. We will go."

Pallis grinned delightedly and sprung to his feet. He stuck his cigarette between his teeth and rubbed his hands together. "Shall I have the carriage prepared, Mother?"

"I'll see to it. Help your brother clean up."

"With pleasure!" He held out his hand and grinned at Drew. "Come on, Berthold!"

Drew couldn't believe it. It had always been 'Don't go outside, it's filthy' or 'you'll catch something' or 'there's nothing worthwhile out there'. He pushed back his chair before the offer could be redacted and stumbled to grab hold of Pallis, eyes wide with anticipation.

"Excited?" Pallis asked, leading him to the library doors, holding them open.

"Oh, yes, Pallis! Yes!" The boy skipped out into the hall.