Episode 8, Chapter 34

"So?" Laney asked as they touched back down in his room two hours later.

"So what?" Parker asked, pretending he had no idea what she wanted. She gazed at him, expectantly, not buying his innocence routine. He sighed. "So, okay. I'll agree, he's not a bad dude. He might be one of the good guys." Parker put up his hand forestalling her retort. "I'm not saying his is a bad guy, just that, even though I'm warming up to the idea, I'm not one hundred percent ready to trust that he's one of the good guys yet. Don't forget the guy's power is to make you see exactly what he wants you to see. Oh, and don't forget that whole new touchy-feely 'empathy' thing, or whatever you called it," he said, using air quotes around empathy. "How weird is that?

"Okay, okay. I admit, the empathy thing was unexpected. But, it was new to him too, remember? He just figured out he could read it from people this morning."

"So he says, and I'm inclined to believe him," he hastened to add, seeing the defensive jut of her chin. "But, I'm still not ready to invite him home to meet the family, or anything. You gotta let me have my skepticism, Laney," he finished with a quirky grin. Laney shook her head at his twisted reasoning but she relented.

"As long as you aren't acting like he's your arch nemesis or something, I'm good." Parkers eyes lit up at her pronouncement.

"Oh nice, I bet I do have an arch nemesis out there somewhere," he said, excited by the prospect. "My personal criminal mastermind, bound to lead me into epic battles until one of us eventually finishes the other off." At this grand pronouncement, Laney rolled her eyes.

"And that level of silliness makes it time for me to go check in with fam," she said with a giggle and a shake of her head.

"I'm coming, I have to take Mom and Dad their drinks, too," he said with a goofy smile as he followed her out of the room. "Thanks for calling Bannah by the way. I missed her more than I believed possible."

Their mothers' believed they had gone to the coffee shop to meet Chloe. So that they weren't lying, with Clint's permission, Chloe had shown up for the last thirty minutes. Not realizing Parker would be there, she nearly burst into tears two steps through the door. Between that and Clint, who laid on his usual charm, Chloe Bannah had left more unbalanced than either of her two friends had ever seen her.

"Yeah, Chloe grows on a person that way," Laney agreed.

"So does a fungus," he delivered with a dry flippancy, that was completely undone by his huge grin. Laney snorted, nearly dropping her cargo.

"Oh, I am so telling on you." Parker laughed as he entered the kitchen. Their return trip had been interesting with the two of them precariously holding three drinks a piece, but, with Clint's help, they were able to pop out of the common room without anyone the wiser.

"Hey, we have your drinks people," he shouted. They could hear voices raised in the living room. Predictably, it was Nan and Ms. Dempson.

"Laney? Are y'all back?" her Nan yelled. Parker and Laney continued into the living room to hand out their prizes. "Good, you're home. You can help me talk some sense into your mother. I do believe she has lost her ever loving mind." She gestured at Laney's mom with her palm. "Tell her. Tell this poor child what you intend to put her through."

"Mother, stop it. Now you're just trying to scare her. I've told you. I won't put up with you poisoning my daughter with your ridiculous paranoia," Ms. Dempson complained. "Stop making a scene."

"Me? My paranoia? Better paranoid than naive. Your blind trust is going to get my grand daughter killed. I think that's worth making a scene over." Laney read the battlefield with trepidation. Her mother and Nan were standing toe to toe in the middle of the Carlisle's living room glaring at each other while the Carlisle's sat around, watching them with confusion.