Eight

We stand together in front of Josh, Riley's face draining of colour as she struggles to find a way to approach her uncle. Josh raises an eyebrow at us, clearly amused at how awkward we're being. "What's up, kiddies?" He chuckles, standing up from the couch.

"Uncle Josh..." Riley starts, in the generic 'I need a favour' voice, but doesn't manage to go on.

"Riley," Josh responds in the same tone, dragging out his syllables.

"Do you think – Um, could you maybe take Maya and me to the pharmacy on your way out today? Maya hurt her ankle yesterday and she needs painkillers, and we really need to go, so if you would..."

Josh nods along as she speaks, arms folded in front of him, but not in an uninterested or aggressive way. Riley finishes her quiet babbling as Josh unfolds his arms and reaches to scratch his neck. "Yeah, I'll take you. Just be ready to leave soon because I have an early class."

Riley's shoulders drop dramatically, and I realise that she had been holding her breath. Josh raises an eyebrow again before ruffling her hair. She shakes him off, laughing sunnily, but she squeezes my hand. I meet her eyes, "You're okay," I whisper, lips barely moving so as not to attract Topanga's attention.

She looks over at us anyway, though quickly distracted by a tantruming Auggie and lets Cory off to finish getting ready. "Riley, don't forget that Katy needs you at Topanga's for a couple of hours this afternoon, okay? Then you can go off and celebrate Valentine's with Farkle."

"Sure, Mom. I might be a little late, depending on when I manage to print out and hand in my essay." Topanga nods, sighing as she clearly lacks the energy to deal with any drama today.

I turn left in response to a tap on my shoulder. "You girls ready to go?" Josh asks, making for the door.

"I'll grab our things," I tell Riley, and she thanks me before following Josh out to the hallway. I stand in Riley's room for a minute, fighting to stay collected. If I freak out, Riley is bound to have a breakdown and that is something she doesn't need on top of her other prominent concerns. I have to help her take it just one step at a time. It's what she needs. I am her best friend, and I will be there for Riley. Until the end.

When we pull up to the pharmacy, Josh is the first one to get out of the car. Riley whips around from the front seat to face me, panic evident in her eyes. "He'll find out, Maya. What do I do?" Her knuckles turn white as she grips the back of the seat.

I try to smile comfortingly, but Riley knows me too well, she'll know that I'm just as worried about this. "I can keep him distracted. Just be quick and get a paper bag, not plastic."

Riley nods slowly, beginning to get out of the car. It takes me a moment to react, but I do my best to keep Josh well out of the way from the beginning by walking by his side and talking about anything that pops into my head.

"You got plans for tonight?" I ask, nudging him to the side. I don't know why I'm so interested in the possibility of him having a Valentine's Day date, but... Well, I'm interested because I don't exactly love the idea of him going out with other girls, but it shouldn't affect me so much. Josh likes me, I know this. He wants us to wait, we had established this at the ski lodge. He has every right to date... I just can't get over it.

A smirk tugs at his lips and I try to read the emotion in his eyes. "Maybe I do," Is he mocking me?

"Oh. Who is she?" I try to stay light, floating above it all. But the weight of his words pulls me below the clouds, hurtling toward the concrete. I beam as brightly as I can, shaking it all off and forcing myself to focus on Riley. I need to hold up this conversation for her. I look over to the counter, and Riley is next in line. I can almost see the guilt radiating off of her. She steps forward, and the pharmacist raises an eyebrow. It's only for a fraction of a second, a knee jerk reaction, but I saw it and I know Riley did, too.

Josh guides me over to the line forming at the counter, about four people separating us from Riley. Her hand shakes as she hands over her debit card, clutching the paper bag to her chest with the other. Josh is none the wiser, waiting to pay for his toothpaste and Twizzlers, a combination I couldn't help but to comment on. "Are you going to tell me about this mystery girl or not, Josh?"

His head jerks toward me, "I never said there was a mystery girl."

I roll my eyes, heat rising to my cheeks, "Your date?"

"I only ever said 'maybe,' remember?"

I don't have time to respond, as Riley rushes past us, mumbling about waiting by the car. I play with the Advil in my hands, thoughts racing at a mile a minute. This is all so risky: all it would take is a curious glance from somebody and then they'll know. She won't be pregnant, but her parents will undoubtedly ground her for life once they find out she's had sex. Not that it should concern them in the slightest, but she is their kid and...

Josh's hand rests on my back, and I hadn't meant to zone out, but now I've left an awkward space between myself and the counter. I quickly pay for the Advil and join Josh in walking outside. "What are you thinking?"

I want to tell him – not to betray Riley but to work out how to help. "You answer my question first."

He grabs his keys from his pocket, the headlights flash and Riley bolts into the backseat. It's the safest spot, as there's no real way Josh will see inside her bag unless he's being nosy. He sits slightly on the hood of his car, sighing. "There's no date tonight, Maya. Make fun of me as you wish," He laughs, "But I am dateless on Valentine's Day." I watch him head around to the driver's side door and he ducks, sliding into his seat. I climb into the car and glance back at Riley, who's lost in her music.

Josh silently reverses out of the parking space and I can tell that it isn't because he's focused on driving. I take two pills dry and then start fiddling with my fingers. When I next glance out the window, Josh has driven past his turn to NYU. "Josh?"

"Yes?"

"What're you doing?"

His eyebrows furrow, "Dropping you two at school," He responds as though it's the most obvious thing.

"Why? I mean, you –"

"Shush," He extends a hand and holds a finger, "You are injured and I'm not really in a rush."

"Okay, but your class –"

"Shush."

Isink down further in the seat, "You're so sweet," I mumble, "But this isunnecessary, you know?" Josh just laughs and turns the radio up as the songchanges over.

--I swear, I meant to update like a week ago and then school came out of nowhere--