No Time Like The Present When No Future is in Sight

Pepper sat in her bedroom, pouring over her math homework, when Wensleydale's picture popped up on her screen in a video call request. The sight that greeted her was not what she expected. 

"Hey guys," she said nervously as Brian's face filled the screen, Wensley sobbing into his shoulder. 

"You need to come back to Tadfield," Brian said, wiping tears away from his cheek.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course Crowley came to the funeral. What else was he to do? Adam was his ... whatever Adam was. Crowley had spent the last year in some form or another trying to protect that boy, without ever letting Adam know about it. He'd intervene here and there with his magic, protecting him from Greasy Johnson, or changing a few of his grades so he wouldn't spiral into a fit of self-deprecation. He had poured his heart and soul into helping that boy, and once Adam had found Lucas and pulled himself partially out of that deep pit of depression, Crowley left, thinking Adam was safe. He shouldn't have been so naive. So foolish. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Aziraphale felt guilty. He had tried his best to protect Adam, but it was all for naught. He hadn't been able to save one child. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucas didn't know what to feel. 

He should have seen it coming. How could he not have known it would turn out this way? How could he have been foolish enough to believe he would be enough for Adam. How could he have not been there for him when Adam went out to that bridge ... when he ...

Lucas found himself out at that bridge, screaming into nothingness. The world was cold and silent. 

"Hey God," he said quietly. "If you're out there at all ... what the fuck? Seriously. What the fuck sort of explanation could you possibly have for this? Why? Why did he ... why did he have to go?"

But Lucas wasn't mad at whatever God existed up there. He felt guilty for not being enough for Adam. For not being enough to convince Adam that life was worth living. For not being enough while Adam felt so lost and alone he couldn't find a reason to live for even one more day. 

He wasn't enough.