Prologue

Min Yoongi intensely disliked anyone and everyone, and that was that. His co-workers and acquaintances put it down to the death of his mother, but nobody really knew for sure the reason for his spite. Yoongi himself was not be entirely certain either. Maybe it was that his rented apartment currently had a penny-sized leak in the section of roof above his kitchen table- creating the need for him to buy a thin tin bucket, and allow it to take up permanent residence under the never-ending drip. Or possibly because his shoes were two-sizes too small. Or that his cheap landlord refused to service the dingy apartment- and the aforementioned leak- of which there were many more. It could have been the flaky, peeling paint that was staring at him from every wall- or the fact that his polished hardwood floor was scratched in an entirely unappealing way, due to him having furniture removed for sale in order to pay rent in harder times. Whatever it was, it had made Yoongi bitter. He had no friends, and his co-workers barely tolerated his grim demeanour. He drank black coffee every day, barely spoke, and was overall a miserable shell of a person.

But as Yoongi fell asleep every night to a chorus of creaks, industrial noises, sirens, and the incessant dripping of water into a tin pail- he held onto, in his opinion, his only reason for existing: music. He thought in notes and breathed melodies. Truly, nothing could compare to the beautiful, changing, dissonant rhapsody that was Min Yoongi's music. And he'd be damned if he didn't make it big someday. Someday.

Cigarette butts littered the small, tiled balcony that lead off from Yoongi's bedroom. He awoke to a cold, mediocre Tuesday morning in the city of Seoul. He numbly slammed his clock, shutting off the alarm that woke him. Tossing off his black duvet, Yoongi ambled grouchily to his feet with a sigh. Checking the clock, he decided that he would skip breakfast so as to avoid being late to work. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, mint green hair standing up all over the place, Yoongi shuffled over to his closet and flicked through an assortment of black clothing. Opting for a black turtleneck sweater, black jeans, black dress shoes and a pair of fuzzy black socks, he half-heartedly pulled on all of his clothes and surveyed himself in the mirror.

Ew.

In his opinion, he looked like some kind of trashy crackhead. And he was sort of okay with that- he hated his dumb workmates anyway, so it's not like he was trying to impress anyone. Sighing irritably, Yoongi snatched a packet of gum from the depths of his sock draw. He reasoned that, if a thief were to ever attempt to steal his possessions, they would quickly realise that there was nothing of value- and instead take his food or whatever. So, he hid his gum where they would never look. Well, his good gum, that is. He left the stupid spearmint stuff in the kitchen- because who cares if that gets taken?

"Nasty," Yoongi mumbled to himself, glancing down at his black, cloud-shaped wristwatch.

Agh.

He quickly shoved a piece of gum into his mouth, grabbed his coat off his doorknob in a haphazard bundle, and stumbled out the front door into the rather ugly hallway of his apartment.

Before he knew it, Yoongi had taken the creaky elevator to the ground floor, caught a cab, and managed to arrive at work only five minutes late. He trudged through the doorway in an indifferent sort of way, wishing already that he was back in his snuggly bed.

"Mister Min!"

Yoongi did not immediately turn around. There were lots of Mins here, like come on, it's Korea. He kept walking towards his moderately sizeable desk when he felt someone tug at the shoulder of his coat. He closed his eyes and drew a long-suffering sigh before slowly turning around to observe the person whose hand was still on his shoulder.

"What?"

The young woman seemed unaffected by his rudeness, and simply smiled at him. Yoongi rolled his eyes.

"Jisoo, I told you not to talk to me until I've had my coffee. You do remember that much at least, don't you?" His tone was cold, which he felt fit the situation. This new intern had not let him have a moment of peace since she was "assigned" to him or whatever. The mint-haired man frowned as she continued smiling.

"I do beg your pardon mister Min, I merely wished to inform you that I have made your coffee! Just the way you like- long black with two sugars and-" she leant closer- "a shot of whiskey." Jisoo winked and held the steaming mug out to Yoongi, who accepted it grouchily.

"I merely wished to inform you... your coffee... whiskey... blah blah, Mister Min..." Yoongi mumbled a lofty imitation of Jisoo's enthusiastic tone under his breath irritably. Stupid intern with her stupid coffee. He stared at her like she was an annoying insect that refused to leave- which, by the way, she was!

"One sugar." He rudely stated, before turning away and striding back towards his desk without thanking her.

Stupid, dumb intern. Trying to be my friend.

He slumped himself down into the cushy black swivel chair that he practically lived in every day, firing up his laptop and eyeing the sizeable pile of files that was neatly placed upon his desk.

Another useless day, he thought bitterly to himself. And he wasn't wrong. Jisoo refused to be quiet, she kept appearing at the most inopportune times and bombarding him with stupid questions.

"Sir?"

"What?"

"Did you get them?"

"Get what?"

"The files."

"The?"

"Files."

"I-"

"Yes?"

"I don't know."

"You don't?"

"Know, Jisoo. It's what people say when they are unsure."

"I see. May I ask a question?"

"No."

"Sir!"

"What?"

"There is a Christmas party coming up-"

Yoongi snorted disdainfully, and Jisoo continued.

"Yes, It'll be quite a lot of fun. Would you like to come? I'd love to see yo-"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"That's not a reason!"

"And your skirt doesn't match your top, Jisoo! You can't wear brown and purple together, that's absolutely appalling-"

"Sir?"

"What?"

"I'll see you there?"

"Hm."

"Please sir?"

Yoongi dramatically swivelled his head to stare at the sky.

"For god's sake just end my suffering!" He turned back to face Jisoo.

"I do not want to come."

Jisoo chuckled in a friendly way.

"See you there, then!" And she waltzed off, probably to annoy the muffin lady or something. Yoongi harrumphed, resigning himself to another day in the office, time seeming to be reluctant to pass as he wished he could go home.

Just great.