Chapter 33 - The New King

See a war is not as funny as fighting one. See our enemies dying and knowing you had nothing to do with that it's something hard to accept, especially for me.

I am a warrior, I am a winner. I fight and win my own battles. Letting the others fight for me is not in my nature. But I am not stupid, I am the best and didn't win that title acting like a fool. Fight now would be a suicide and I can't die, not yet. There are things I need to do before, while I still know where my preys are.

And not even I can deny that see this war is a good way to learn about my enemies. And good enemies, enemies that'll be difficult to kill.

I feel a smile growing in my face. I'll finally, after so much time, have a challenge. Good fighters, prepared to receive me. A fight I'll enjoy.

We fight alone but if we need help, there'll be warriors that can help us.

No, they can't. They are not like me. They are not the best. I am the best and I fight alone. The only Hunter I accept with me is my brother, he is the only one I trust enough. And he is not here, so I'll fight alone. I stare at the golden tattoos that are starting to appear in my arms, arms covered with blood I hadn't time to clean. They were given to me after my vow, a vow I made blinded by a desire of revenge that is still with me.

And I became the best to get my revenge but I couldn't have it yet. I killed many but not the one who took Annabel away from me. This monster is still alive, more than alive. But it's closer than ever thanks to this war. And before I end the lives of the twins I'll kill him.

Protect the others, get the others revenge, before get yours. Because your revenge is what feeds you if you get it, you lose it and if you lose it you've nothing else to feed, nothing else to give you the strength you need.

But not this time. I know the reason to teach us that, I know everything they did. Now, I know. I learned that when it was too late to stop but I've still time to change it. I'll get my revenge, kill the twins and then finish everything.

Complete the other task, the other reason that made me want to become the best. I'll finish everything.

But first, before all of that, I need to know who the winner is, I need to see him with my own eyes to be sure about that. And hope that he is who I want, the one who will make my plan easier.

I stare at the battlefield again, searching for any sign that the war is ending but I find nothing. It's the fifth day of war and they keep fighting. That's good to me, they are becoming weak but I would appreciate if I could eat something more than just wild berries, mushrooms and barely cooked rabbit because I can't keep the fire too much time.

The trolls and ogres are finally falling after the Kitsunes and Centaurs decide to work together. The Faeries and Fauns are being destroyed by the Zombies who are immune to their magic. The Kappas, like the cowards they are, already ran away. The Mummies with a little part of the Werewolves are fighting the Harpies and the Skinwalkers which I am not sure if that's a good idea since the Mummies are made of bandages the Harpies can easily grab. And the rest of the Werewolves are fighting the demons, probably the most brilliant idea Dominic had because even the demonic horses seem to fear wolves, giving serious problems to their demonic riders.

I can't see the vampires from here and of course can't predict what's happening inside the castle but it seems that Dominic is winning. That doesn't surprise me, if I want to be realistic. Dominic is a way better strategic than his twin and that's clear by the way they're fighting. Ogres and Trolls would be much more useful as protectors, in the end of the army, instead of cannon fodder, put in the front line, the obvious choice, the one Dominic predicted.

But it doesn't really matter, knowing that Dominic's army is probably winning means nothing. Because if he is a way better strategic then his brother is a way better fighter. And if Danton kills Dominic then it doesn't really matter which army is winning.

I lean against the rugged steam of the tree where I am sitting and close my eyes. Can't one of them kill the other and finish it? I need to find Starlyn and tell her I will accept her deal and then complete my plan. But I can do nothing, I can't even be sure what will be my plan, before I know who win this war.

A warrior needs to learn how to be patient. A warrior can't always attack, sometimes needs to wait.

That's what I am doing, awaiting the end of the war between two Sons of the Darkness. Looking at the battlefield it's clear that its sons are too many and are wasting themselves fighting in useless wars.

A war between brothers that should love each other, a war for power they could have together. Nonsense. And they had so better things to do if they wanted...

The sound of a horn brings me back to reality. It's impossible to do not know what that horn means. The war ended, one of the twins won. The creatures will not fight for someone who is dead, the vampires probably already vowed their submission to the new King. The war ended.

And the winner, the new King, emerges, passing the high doors of the castle, a planned act. It can't be anything else. Enter in the castle just to get out is nothing else than a planned act to show superiority. To show that he can make everyone wait, to show that he can make everyone fear.

He comes alone, ripped clothes covered with dark red blood, the hair completely messed. But on the top of his head, a crown shines at the dim light of the sun, confirming what everyone already knew - he is the new Vampire King.

He is staring at the people, the Sons and Daughters of the Darkness, around him, a smile that's just teeth and fangs clear in his face even at that distance. But I can't say who he is, I am too far to see his eyes.

I see his mouth moving which tells me he is saying something, something I can't listen. But then the vampires start to appear. They all stay slightly away from their new King and leave a small path that can only be to one person - the new Queen.

And when she finally emerges, the vampires bowing while she passes, placing herself at the left side of the new King, slightly behind him I don't need to see his eyes anymore. The sight of the Queen, with her long red blood dress that even at this distance is clear that accentuates her paleness and silver crown, is enough to make me understand who the new King is.

A smile spreads on my face. That blonde hair is unmistakable, the new Queen is Katherine. And if she's the new Queen then it's obvious who is the new King.

I scream, not bothering if they listen to me or not because I'll get out now and they can't reach me before I do so, "Long life to the King Dominic."

I jump out of the tree and start running, the smile still on my face.

Long life to the King Dominic. Or as long as he can keep until I come back.