Getting Ready

Authors Note: Hi guys! Sorry if this one is a little shorter, I split the chapter in half since I didn't wanna post a super long one xD hope you like it!

_________________________

Chapter Two

White Clouds

Ethereal Moon

Getting Ready

_________________________

"Bullseye!"

Anna lowers her steel bow as she grins at the now pierced center of a target that lies a few yards away from her.

"Nice shot." Shamir shoots a small smile as she walks over to Anna's spot on the training grounds.

"You put a little too much pressure on the bowstring when you pulled it back... but the dexterity you've acquired in the past few weeks is impressive, I'll admit."

Anna can't help but feel her chest swell with pride as she takes in her mentor's praise-- an act Shamir seldom indulged in giving out as it was.

"T-Thank you, Shamir. It's all thanks to your training!"

Shamir shoots her young pupil another small smile as she shakes her head.

"No, I can't take all the credit. I'm sure you've put in the hours even when I'm not around and it shows. Heh. At this rate you'll be a real threat on the battlefield soon enough. Your skill with a sword is nothing less of prodigious and now your enemies will need to fear your bow as well."

Shamir places a light hand on Anna's shoulder as she slowly nods. Anna watches as a proud glint shine in her eyes.

"Well done, Anna."

Anna can't help but lower her gaze as pink hues find their way onto her cheeks. Hearing such praise from someone as skilled as Shamir is no easy feat, but it's true; lately, she's dedicated hours upon hours to her studies of the bow after Shamir agreed to begin coaching her.

"Well, I suppose that's enough for today. I'm sure you want to head back and get ready for the ball tonight, right?"

"Oh! The ball!"

Anna slightly gasps as she remembers the date. The 26th of the Ethereal Moon. Yes, today was the annual ball of Garregg Mach. An event that overtook all others as the hottest topic of conversation among the students for the past couple of weeks. She remembered how excited even members of Blue Lions were just yesterday as Mercedes and Annette dragged Ingrid to their room to practice their makeup for tonight. They had tried to drag her too, of course, but there's no way they could after hearing Anna had bow practice with Shamir. After all, no one messed with Shamir.

"I suppose I should get ready...although if I'm honest, it'll be my first time attending a ball with so many people around. I'm not too sure how I feel about it, honestly."

"Oh yeah? Well, you're not the only one by the looks of it."

Anna looks up to meet Shamir's gaze, but she finds her eyes are focused elsewhere. Following her stare, Anna's own gaze lands on the back of Felix swinging his sword against training dummies on the other side of the grounds. She can't help but watch in awe as he easily slices one of wooden training dolls in half with a merciless blow.

Felix hasn't even shown the slightest interest in the ball...I've never heard him mention it once.

Anna's eyes watch him silently as he chugs down some water and lays down his sword to re-position another training doll where the previous one stood.

...I wonder if he'll even be there tonight.'

"Regardless, I think you should show up and try to make the most of it."

Anna's attention is brought back to Shamir's voice as she walks over to her target and starts plucking out the many arrows pierced in its surface. Anna can't help but shoot her a puzzled look; in turn, Shamir shoots her a small smirk.

"What? Didn't expect that coming from me?"

"W-well, no...I... just thought you wouldn't have an interest in these sorts of things either."

"You're not wrong, I don't. But..."

Shamir plucks out an arrow and her gaze seems to soften as she stares at the cuphead.

"Times like these...well, they can be fleeting. Who knows what tomorrow might bring... or if the people you fight alongside today, might be the ones after your life tomorrow."

Noticing an underlying emotion in Shamir's tone, Anna can't help but gulp. Almost as if sensing her unease, Shamir shoots her another small smile and continues to pick up the arrows.

"All I'm saying is you should enjoy yourself. Enjoy these moments of peace while the last. Live them to the fullest-- so you'll have no regrets should there ever come a day when things are different."

"Yeah, I...I think understand what you're saying. Thank you, Shamir. I will."

Shamir nods at Anna one last time before turning her back on her and heading towards the storage area, training arrows clutched in her arms.

"Enjoy it, Anna. You've worked for it."