Plan B

Groaning, his eyes flickered open. His memory was foggy...something about a cliff. And an aching pain in his side...he shot up in bed, looking around wildly at the red curtains and bedsheets.

"Don't be afraid." The woman's voice cooed to him.

He looked at her, thin waisted but wide hipped, with a beak nose and large eyes. Dark red hair pooled down her shoulders and her large blue eyes watched him under thick black lashes. "What do you remember?"

He didn't like this woman, or her soft voice. But something compelled him to answer her. "A cliff and water...the sea, I think." He watched her warily, and even more so as tiny flames danced above her nails. "Nothing more? Not even your name?"

He thought hard, but finally shook his head.

"Don't you worry." The flames disappeared on her nails. "You will remember in time, Adrian."

Mari woke with a start, her eyelids heavy. Daylight poured through the circle windows, and through them she had a perfect view of the ocean. Her gaze shifted to Leon, who sat in the armchair in front of her, his feet kicked up on the coffee table, and reading a book with one hand clutching a mug. He had changed into a gray shirt and his normal red coat, with brown boots. The golden cord tied his dangling blond hair back, and his gray eyes stared intently at his story. "Morning." He said without looking up. "Sleep well?"

When she didn't respond right away, he continued. "I sure did. I have the needle mark to prove it." Putting his book on his knee, he moved his collar to reveal the puncture mark on the side of his neck that had hints of a larger tattoo under his coat. Coldly, he stared at her. "We had a plan. I don't make a plan to chuck it out the window halfway through the night."

She rubbed her temples. It came back to her in one wave. "I know."

"Oh, you know?" His cold words nearly made her flinch. "I didn't realize you knew. I just didn't get that impression when you jumped off the balcony and nearly got yourself killed, if I hadn't done something." Almost as an afterthought he muttered, "and not a 'thank you' either."

"Thank you." Her lips pressed into a thin line at his glare. "I mean it. I could've been fish food but you stepped in." She was being sincere, and she tried to show him that with her expression. "I was stupid. Emotional. I went way off track. I-I screwed up big time. You told me to act as if we were never there, but I left a big mess for the king and Harry to find. It would've worked—your plan I mean. But I messed up. I'm sorry."

His eyes were wide in surprise for only a moment before he hid his thoughts with a frown. Hesitating, he stared down at his leather bound book. "Sorry doesn't change anything."

Mari nodded solemnly, but she was already thinking about the security footage she had seen, and what the scarred man had said about Adrian. What had he known so much about? Why did he have to get involved? Why did he hide something like this behind her back? She must've muttered the words aloud, because Leon tilted his head at her.

"Your partner meant a lot to you?"

Last night's shock seemed to have melted, because tears welled up in her eyes with his words. She buried her face in her palms and quietly sobbed. Misery rolled into her, as well as the reality of his death. Her shoulders shook from trembling so hard. Adrian is dead. A harder wave of despair shook her. If her trainer, or even Adrian saw her, they would shake their heads in disappointment at her state. She hadn't shed a single tear since she was a child, but it all came rushing out of her now. It wasn't until then that she heard Leon's soft words, "I'm sorry, so, so sorry..." and his arms around her. She let him pull her into him, and laid her head on his shoulder. His hushes quieted her, and he hummed a tune she didn't recognize. It was a simple melody, with many repeats, but it silenced her.