Hints

Mari swallowed a yawn, hiding her mouth behind a fist. She had been reading for hours. Not that the books weren't interesting—not at all—but she hadn't done much else. Leon was skimming through the next book on her list, making sure it was important enough to spend time on, while he paced the room, twirling his triton in his hand absentmindedly.

At the knock at the door, they both paused and stared at one another. When it came again, Leon placed his weapon and book to the side and swung the door open.

An older lady, cheeks carved with wrinkles and eyes sagging with bags, stared warily up at him. A necklace of beads and shells hung near to her waist, and her large feet were half covered with sandals. "Are you...him?" Her voice could've been mistaken for a frog's croak.

Leon's demeanor shifted into his cool, relaxed state and although his back faced her, Mari could practically see his smile. "I am. And you are?"

The old lady shifted from foot to foot. "Judi. Judi Loutick."

"Well, Judi, Judi Loutick, what can a man such as myself do for you?"

"It's—it's my son. He's sick." Her croak lowered with each word.

"Despite our name, we do have our limitations." Leon leaned against the doorway with his arms crossed. His voice was still kind. "Depending on what he's got, I can get you the medicine. Other than that, there's not much I can do for you."

She shook her head, her shells and beads clacking together. "No, no. He's not that kind of sick. He's...he's got the...Hints." She whispered that last part, her eyes wide and watery.

Mari saw Leon's head bob slowly. "Give me one moment, ma'am." He closed the door and turned toward where he put his triton.

Mari folded her legs under her and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "What are you going to do?"

His triton shrunk into the pole and he grabbed a brown satchel he had carelessly thrown into a woven basket. Tossing the bag over his shoulder, he checked its contents, murmuring under his breath. When he seemed sure everything was there, he caught Mari's watching eye and gave her a reassuring smile. "I'll do what I have to." Before he opened the door her added, "I shouldn't be gone for too long." He was satisfied with her nod for an answer and left, with the old lady on his heel.

She waited until their footsteps faded before she placed the thick blue book she was holding down on the coffee table and started going through drawers. Surprisingly, they were empty. With a small frown she made her way toward Leon's room. Which was, much to her disappointment, locked. The kitchen only had dishes and a pantry full of spices, tea leaves, and fresh bread. After that, she knew she wasn't going to find anything of interest. But she didn't want to read anymore either.

On the porch, she watched the dark blue waves rhythmically crash into the shore, sometimes leaving new shells. Tossing off her shoes and socks, she headed onto the sand. No one occupied this beach, she thought. She hadn't seen a single soul cross through in the days she's lived here.

A pink shell was recently deposited near her feet. It felt cool under her fingertips as she rose it closer to her face. Usually the cream and rose colored shell would be broken from its journey to the shoreline, but it remained intact.

Orange, dying sunlight cast its last few rays over the sea by the time Mari noticed how far she had wandered from the beach house.

Clay houses were already dimming their lights, and the market was closing. She could see, over the hill of sand, merchants packing up their merchandise. Tearing her eyes away, she felt the ridges of the shell walking back the way she came. Her stomach clenched and the hair on the back of her neck stood on end; someone was watching her. Without stopping her trek, she listened intently for footsteps. Surely enough, heavy steps along the cobblestone road echoed behind her. With further investigation, they were more of a limp.