Chapter 4

Needletail was used to Bill's company now. She often switched back and forth between the void and the real world, following Tree, trying to figure out how to get Tree and Violetpaw to meet. Which, she had finally figured out, was her mission.

"Hey, wanna hear a joke?" Needletail asked Bill, who was floating beside her.

"Oh, what fun!" Bill rolled his eye sarcastically, 'leaning back', putting his hands behind his 'head.'

"So. A warrior was patrolling the forest."

Bill sighed. "Go on."

"And his friend came up to him like, 'I saw a fox and a badger fighting!' Then, his friend said 'and hedgehogs fly.' So-"

Bill cut her off.

"-The patrolling warrior looked up and saw a bunch of flying hedgehogs." He looked at Needletail. Needletail looked away, Embarrassment burned beneath her pelt.

She met his gaze, but only saw affection glowing in his eye.

"I know you too well." He commented softly.

A feeling wormed beneath Needletail's pelt. A feeling that had lasted only a short while for her, and had ended far too soon.

The feeling that made her feel warm and fuzzy.

The feeling that made her calm, yet made her heart pound.

The feeling that makes the world spin and twist around her, and fall completely away.

The feeling that made her breath catch in her throat.

Love.

She was in love.

I thought so... But now... I know for sure.

I should tell him.

Bills gaze softened.

"You.... I... Bill... I need to tell you something." Needletail stammered, her heart pounding in her throat.

Bill tipped his 'head.'

"Yes?"

"I...I'm in Love with you bill."

Bills eye widened.

The world around her seemed to freeze.

"I love you, Bill."

Bill looked back at her with such intensity that she thought she would faint.

Then, Bill grabbed her and pulled her close to him.

He pressed her against him and sighed.

"I'm glad that we feel the same way." He whispered softly, gazing into Needletail's eyes.

"Because I love you, too."