Chapter Five: Tied Knot

My eyes were framed with dark kohl, smoked out and blending into a shimmering gold eyeshadow. My lips were dark red.

The bridal lehenga fit me beautifully. The skirt fell in cascades around me.

I should've looked like this for him.

My hair was tied back in a simple bun. In the room where I was getting ready, I could hear my mothers soft tears. I didn't look at her as she came up behind me and rested the veil over  my head. It fell down my face, just till my chin. My view of the world became yellow and gold.

"It's time," Mom said softly.

She waited for me to move, but I couldn't. My limbs refused to obey. I stared down at my thick skirt. My feet were covered under them. My jewelries were thick and heavy. I felt weight down. Trapped.

Mom took my hand and steered me out of the room. "Stop trembling," she whispered to me.

As soon as we stepped out of my room, the people enveloped us. My mom spoke for me. Nobody could see my face. Hands patted my shoulder. I was told how beautiful I looked.

Mom kept a firm grip on me. Maybe she was afraid I would run away. I was led down the stairs and out the house where a black limo waited for us. My skirts were handled by others as I took a seat in it. The door shut, muffling the sound of everyone else. Mom and Dad came to sit in the car with me. I could hear them both crying.

I should be crying.

I kept my face turned straight ahead as we drove off. Mom wrapped her hands around mine, and I couldn't help but squeeze back tightly.

Our arrival at the venue was like a star on the red carpet. People with cameras were waiting, a long, narrow path opened for me to walk down. My knees were weak. I was glued to my seat. My parents got out the car and walked around to open the door for me. Immediately, I was drowned in flashes as my photos were taken. A romantic Indian song played on the speakers for me and I almost wanted to laugh.

I kept my head down under the veil, my skirts were handled again by others. I kept my eyes on the black carpet beneath me, paying attention so that I didn't trip in my heels. The way to the altar seemed to go on forever. I couldn't stand the eyes on me. Somehow, I was holding my mothers hand again. My palm was slick with sweat.

Finally, the alter appeared. I stepped onto it, wobbling weakly a little. I was sat by the ceremonial fire where the pandit, the priest, prepared for the ritual. Vivaan wasn't here yet, which was unusual. He should've been here before me, already sitting and waiting.

I waited until I picked up urgent voices among the crowd. I flicked my eyes up. Through my veil, I could see mine and Vivaan's parents whispering something, heads bent together. Whispers from the guest traveled to my ears.

Where is the groom?

The parents can't find him.

He must've run away.

My face began to burn. My palms were clammy. What the fuck was happening?

I became aware of every gaze on me. Some looked at me with sympathy, others snarled. What a disgrace, the groom ran away from the wedding. Something must be wrong with the bride.

No. He wouldn't do this. He was the one who wanted an arrange marriage. I bowed my head, hiding my face further under the veil. Nobody spoke to me, my parents were doing whatever they could to solve this.

"Is the groom ready?" The priest looked up at them, now growing impatient. "The auspicious time is running out."

"He's..." Jayanti stepped forward, looking at me with sympathy. "He's not-."

"He's here!" A kid cried from the back.

Heads swiveled, including mine, to see Vivaan. He wore his gold and red wedding suit and was making his way up the carpet toward me. His eyes were distant, his mind somewhere else.

I felt my heart sink. Part of me had hoped he wouldn't come. Then, at least, the disgrace wouldn't have fallen to on me and my family.
People slowly fell in the usual routine of taking photos, though some guest still looked uncertain.

Vivaan came and sat next to me by the fire. Our parents complimented how good we looked together.

He barely glanced at me during the ceremony.