𝐎𝐍𝐄 I WANT ONE.

[ ITALICS IS WHATEVER LANGUAGE YOU THINK MERPEOPLE SPEAK ]

━  one  ━
i want one.

━━━━━ MILO HAD ALWAYS HAD AN EXTREME OBSESSION WITH EVERYTHING ON LAND. Yet, he still knew nothing about what humans were doing when they sat around at the beach or the lake. He could usually be found watching them from behind rocks, studying them to see what they did for fun. Most of them just sat on the sand, towels under them and their bodies facing the sun. The young boy had no idea what they were supposed to be doing, but he didn't find it interesting in the slightest. What he did think was cool, however, was watching them surf every day-as long as it wasn't raining. He thought that was what they called it; surfing. Milo has picked up a few of their words as he watched them over the past few years.

     He had also managed to notice things that humans were never observant enough to see. He saw people with glowing eyes having heated discussions along the beaches at night, a full moon hanging high above them in the sky. Milo didn't know why their eyes glowed, but his changed colors too, so perhaps it wasn't the strangest thing in the world.

     Milo's favorite thing to look at was a dark haired boy named Scott-at least, that's what he thought he heard the boy that ran up to him call him. Every morning, Milo made his way to the surface, searching the sand for the tan boy and finding him in the same spot. His eyes were always cast down at the waves that washed over his feet, and Milo thought that the boy was feeling a single emotion so deeply that he couldn't think straight. Sadness, maybe.

     One day, Scott wasn't in the same spot he usually was at sunrise, and Milo found himself frowning at the loss of the boy. He knew that people frequently came to the beach for a few days and went away, maybe Scott wasn't returning.

     But, as he sunk back into the water to return home, the sandy brown haired boy's eyes landed on a figure standing at the top of the cliffs. The figure's shirt was off, and the boy disappeared for a moment before he came running forward and jumped straight off the cliff, landing right in front of Milo's rocks.

     The merman slipped under the beautiful blue waves, his eyes finding Scott underneath the surface. Despite the fact that he was partially hidden behind the rock, the male's eyes were trained directly on him, a look of wonder written across his face as he stared at Milo. He cocked his head to the side, and for a moment Milo worried that he might come closer. But then Scott pushed off the sand and raced to the surface for a breath, leaving Milo to make a decision.

     He could follow and finally figure out what about the boy intrigued him so much, or he could play by the rules and safely return home.

     He chose option number two.

⊱⋘⚬⋙⊰

He spent three days at home before he decided it was safe to come back again. And when he swam back up to his rock, he found a boy with tan skin, dark brown hair, and a crooked jaw waiting for him.

     Scott was sitting on his rock, his eyes scanning the ocean as if he was looking for Milo's tail in all spots of the water. He nearly slipped off the rock as the creature appeared in front of him, wide eyes meeting his when Milo realized that he was in his spot. The brown haired boy almost swam off; had it not been for Scott's calming gesture as he held up his hands to show that he wouldn't hurt him.