Chapter Four

In hindsight, I wish I had just held on to Chris' waist for the entire ride. Once we'd made our way through the roundabout and were safely on Russian Federation Boulevard (yep, that's the name) I felt much more at ease. The road was evenly paved and the lines were actually painted straight. I didn't need to hold him, so I let go. The large street was wider, smoother, and gave an air of safety.

As soon as I let go and moved my hands to the small bars beneath my seat, the ones I was used to holding on moto rides, he turned to me and shouted, "I swear it's fine. I don't want you to fall off."

I raised my voice to talk over the sounds of the street. "When I first got here, I was told not to touch the moto drivers. It's a cultural thing. I was also told it was most ladylike to ride like that," I pointed to a woman who had her legs both tossed over the same side of her seat as she rode on the back of a small motorbike. "It took a while, but I got used to it. I honestly think I could do it with no hands."

He shot me a look over his shoulder, "Don't."

"It's safer than crossing that roundabout." And I teasingly raised one arm.

"Is it though?"

We rode in silence a while longer. I smiled as we passed a park where some weird Jazzercise exercise class was taking place. Loud Cambodian music blared and all the people, mainly in various shades of pastel, danced. God, I loved this country.

We came up to a large intersection, Route 1. I knew it well. If we took a left, we'd be right by the Embassy. Behind the trees and buildings you could occasionally see Wat Phnom. That was practically across the street from the US Embassy.

"You see that?" I pointed to the trees where the temple hid.

"The trees?" As he answered he leaned back into me, his back lightly pressed against my chest and his face so incredibly close to mine.

"In the trees. See the stupa?"

"No. The what?" He hadn't moved.

I leaned into him with my chin almost on his shoulder, now I was very glad I'd brushed my teeth, "There!" I directed his attention to the temple. It was in and out of sight quickly. "That's Wat Phnom. Where the city gets its name. It's the only hill in the city. You have to go there and feed the monkeys."

When he smiled, it caused our cheeks to touch ever so briefly. "Feed the monkeys," he repeated and leaned forward.

I watched the familiar scenery move by as our driver turned after a few streets to the right. In no time we were in the crowded market area. We hopped off the bike and I pulled a few dollars from my pocket. "Arkoon cheran," I thanked the driver before Chris had even gotten his wallet all the way out.

"You have to stop paying for stuff." He shook his head and smiled as he said it.

"You," I looked at his very sleek wallet that clearly had a large stash of cash in it, "are going to get straight up robbed. Put that thing away."

He quickly shoved it into his front pocket. "Geez. I can't pull my wallet out to pay? How am I going to buy shit in there?" Chris nodded in the direction of the market as the sarcasm continued to drip from his questions.

I looked around for a place we could sit for a moment I could help him get himself together. A quick glance over my shoulder, and I saw a coffee shop. "Let's go there."

"We just had coffee," he followed me reluctantly, but what else could he do? He was the one who asked for my company on a trip to the market. I chuckled as I imagined him going into that market alone. Not that he was inept, but I think he stood out more solo. And not just because of who he was. He was all wide-eyed, shiny and smiley. Might as well have had 'sucker' stamped on his forehead.