Ch. 11: Meeting the Emperor and Empress

When YuwenShu stopped in front of us, my heart skipped a beat. What would happen to Liang when I wronged the Sui emperor and empress before we had even met? Of the countless days of not summoning me, today had to be the day they suddenly had free time.

If my recklessness cost this alliance, I don't know how I would ever face my conscience. A'Wu took it even worse, her legs crumpling from underneath her as she latched on to my arm.

After enjoying our momentary hysteria, YuwenShu smiled, his typical cordial expression returning to his face. "Since I was the one to help you leave, trust me in that I would make sure you both return safely and with no blame."

Without any sense of rushing, he motioned to the carriage casually. If my heart hadn't been racing, I would have surely thought that he was inviting us to a picnic or a stroll along the lake.

A'Wu rushed into the carriage, almost tripping as she threw all of her lessons on etiquette out the back. As I sat down, it suddenly occurred to me that it didn't add up. If anything truly went wrong, he should have been the one panicking. No one could go on completely untroubled knowing that he deliberately went against the emperor's commands.

Just as I expected, his clarification was perfectly timed, arriving just when A'Wu was on the verge of breaking down. "Your Highnesses, I have already reported back that you were both copying scriptures and praying at the altar. Emperor and Empress said that the Buddha came first and to wait before bringing you to them."

It was almost as if he was trying to paint himself as our salvation. At least, A'Wu clearly took it as such, repeating "thank you" over and over again to the young general as she slumped her head on my shoulder.

To me, however, the general's plans backfired, causing me to distrust him even more. There wasn't quite a reason I could pinpoint for my judgment against him, but all of my instincts screamed of manipulation. Perhaps it was the occasional sly gleam in his eye or the too-smooth way he spoke. The thought that he staged all of this to gain future favors from us continually nagged at the back of my mind, and I cast a glance at A'Huan.

After all, she was the one who had asked him to help us out of the palace, and it was near impossible to believe that they were not connected in some way. Much to my surprise and disbelief, she looked equally as shocked. Huddling in the corner of the carriage, she seemed to lose all of her icy temperament.

"New sister-in-law, I'm sorry. I'm sorry," A'Wu repeated, sniffling a bit after she recollected herself. "I just—I should have never asked you—And Father and Mother would be so disappointed if they found out we were lying."

Seeing the previously bubbly girl dissolve into a mess of whimpers, my heart jerked, and a sharp pain was sent flying through my body.

"Ever since Eldest Sister lost her throne, she has been distant towards Father and Mother. Fourth Sister thought Father to be unjust and broke off all ties with us. I haven't heard from Second or Third Sister since they married. Eldest Brother is too busy being Crown Prince, and all other brothers have been assigned to guard distant lands." Her voice was quiet and suppressed, telling a story of solitude.

I motioned for her to hush, but as she made no signs of stopping, I pulled down the curtains firmly.

"I'm scared to disappoint them. This family has already been falling apart. How can I make it worse by being selfish?" She buried her face into her palms, slightly shaking her head. "They've always been strict and held high expectations, and we all strived to make them proud. I know what I should do as a proper princess, but my heart seeks other freedoms. New sister-in-law, if only I was you and could put my the entirety of my personal whims aside for the good of the country."

Hearing her words, I froze. May the Buddha bless her and never have her take after my steps. She was unlike any royal child I had known, understanding of her parents but not of the power plays of the court. Maybe it was because she enjoyed a normal family until recently just as I had. Her wishes for a simple family blocked out any signs of corruption, and more than anything, I wished that it would stay that way.

The carriage slowed to a halt. "Your Highnesses, please change into these gowns before we head off for the Empress's Palace." YuwenShu handed us two sets of plain robes, only a bit more colorful than the maid uniforms we currently wore.

In the days I spent here, I learned that it was a well-known fact that the Emperor and Empress disliked all luxuries, thinking that leisure would corrode morals and responsibilities. But nothing could prepare me for my encounter with them. When I set foot in their palace, it was almost as if I had traveled back to my uncle's home and the life of a commoner. The furniture was simple, and the shiniest thing were silver hooks.

"Your Humble Servant greets the Honorable Emperor and Empress of Sui," I said as I bowed alongside A'Wu. From my lessons on etiquette, I had learned that there was no need to go on my knees unless I was attending a ritual. It was no wonder that Princess MingZhu had scoffed at me before.

"Quickly rise and join us for supper," a warm voice greeted me. "A'Mo has found himself a good wife! Isn't that so, Lang Jun?"

Lang Jun? Beloved husband? I blushed, caught off guard that the empress would use such a folksy name to speak with the emperor. Considering the prevailing seriousness of the kingdom, I was more than taken aback. Caught in my thoughts, I forgot to stand up from my curtsy.

"Come join us," another voice sounded. While it was meant to be a gesture of kindness, it sounded more like a command.

I looked up to see a man and woman dressed in plain clothing that bore no accessory decorations nor embroidery. At most, a simple jade pendant was hanging from each of their waists. Yet, even with their nondescript clothing, a sense of authority radiated from them, directing each person's attention.

When I saw the emperor's face, I inched back a bit. He had bulging eyes and a mouthful of black whiskers that all painted an initial look of ferociousness. So though he was smiling, he still carried an aura of intimidation.

The empress, on the other hand, was as different from the rumors as one could imagine. If I had envisioned her as a frightening woman directed solely by jealousy, she proved to be more of a maternal figure, her eyes lighting up as she saw me.

"Sit," the emperor repeated, and I wasted no time following his words. Even their meals were simple, consisting of a single meat dish and two side platters of vegetables.

I was beginning to see why A'Wu still clung to the idea of a commoner's family life. Compared to the day I spent at the Liang palace, this life promised more of a familiar setting and related interactions.

A'Wu sat straight in her seat, waiting patiently for her parents to begin eating first. It was clear that she was trying to maintain an air of formalness and gracefulness. But why? Other than the emperor and empresses' naturally commanding presence, this dinner could have been one I enjoyed back home with my aunt and uncle as we chatted about the neighbors.

A maid accidentally spilled a drop of soup on my sleeve as she tried setting the bowl down on the table. I smiled, telling her that to not worry, but she looked fearful all the same, immediately bending down and pressing her head to the floor.

"Take her out. Twenty boards." The emperor's harsh punishment for such a petty mistake left me in shock. All around, even A'Wu resumed eating as if nothing had happened.