⑤: Snapdragon

"You're seeing a therapist? That's great, Jotaro! Is it helping? Are they nice? How do you feel?"

"I only had my first session today, mom." Just as Buccellati had instructed, Jotaro called his mother as soon as he got home, and just as he had expected, she had a million questions for him. "It helped a lot, though. More than I would've thought."

"That's wonderful, darling. I'm so glad." he could hear her grin through the phone. "If you don't mind me asking... What made you do it? If you know what I mean."

He ruminated on this for a moment, tossing around different ideas in his head. Everything was genuinely clear to him, mostly, and that clarity was definitely an acquired taste. The usual cloudiness of Jotaro's thoughts allowed him to block out certain self reflections, but with that gone, self doubt was shining clear. Was this even his decision to begin with? He supposed not, since he wouldn't have made it on his own in a million years.

"Someone said I should go, and I figured I'd give it a shot." he said, cracking a little smile of his own. "Why? Are you thinking about going? I can give you the name of my therapist, if you'd like."

"You know me all too well, kiddo. That'd be great."

Holly let out a laugh that was more than a little forced, twisting and untwisting the receiver's cord around her little finger over and over again. Leave it to Jotaro to see right through her, just like his father.

Just like Sadao.

Just like Sadao...

"You're leaving again? But it seems like you just got home... Jotaro and I missed you so much..."

"I know, but... this tour is really important, Seiko. We could be living the good life if I do well enough."

"The good life is having you here with us! You're always running off in the name of 'the good life' and it's not fair-! Please, Sadao- stay home just this once-"

"Seiko..."

He had always been a sweet talker. Even in the most dire of straits, he could talk himself out of an issue with ease. Even with her breaking down crying in his arms, he managed to convince her that this was for the best. Even though she shouldn't have, she believed every sweet word he breathed into her ear.

And she regretted it every day of her life.

"Mom?"

"Mom!"

"Hello?! Mom?" Jotaro called her back to reality, more concern in his voice than annoyance. "What's wrong? You're not one to space out like that."

"It's nothing, I'm fine," Holly laughed again, still not as sincerely as she usually did. "Listen, Jotaro, I have to go now, okay?"

"You sure? You seem upset."

"Really, I'm fine. Say hi to the ladies for me! Mommy loves you! Mwah!"

"Mom, wait—"

The dial tone rang hollow in his ears. Jotaro had never seen his mother act like this, and part of him thought it was his own fault. Was it something that he said? Should he call back? Or does she need space? These questions mixed with the droning dial tone, making Jotaro's ears ring and his head pound. He hung up the phone to clear away some of the emptiness he felt; but he knew full well that it wouldn't ever fully go away. At least, not for a while.  In the meantime, to keep himself busy, he checked on his hives. The worry causing queen's condition had improved slightly, albeit, not enough to warrant him to relax. The stiff breezes of autumn were beginning to give way to the energy sapping chill of winter, and if Jotaro wasn't careful, the first frost of the year would take out the queen and destroy the stability of the hive.