13

Damian crept down the stairs and found Dick waiting for him. "Uh, hi Gray."

"Whatcha doin?" Dick asked with a smirk.

"Nothing." Damian shoved the case he was holding behind his back.

Dick's expression softened. "You don't have to hide that, Dami. I was the one who taught you how to use it, remember?"

Damian looked down in shame. "I know," he whispered. "I just . . . I guess I'm used to hiding it."

Dick smiled. "I know. But you don't have to anymore. So how about instead of going to the school's basement to practice, you go ahead and practice here, 'kay?"

Damian's jaw dropped. "You knew?"

"Of course I did. But I wasn't going to say anything until I realized that you were going to keep trying to hide it."

Damian looked suitably embarrassed. "I thought it was something I'd quit needing to do, but the more I practice, the more I keep wanting to practice."

"I know. Why don't you pull it out and let me see what you've learned?"

As Dick sat down on the stairs, Damian pulled it out. His secret, guilty pleasure. He had always blamed Dick for his obsession, seeing as how his brother had been the one to introduce it to him. But he was glad that Dick had taken the time to teach him. From the time he was four years old, Damian would sneak out of the compound to practice in secret, knowing his mother and grandfather would never approve.

When first introduced to it, Dick had called it a weapon, an instrument of death to catch the young assassin's attention. "You can bring people to their knees if you learn how to use this properly."

And Damian had. It had become his constant companion over the years. He had always been loathe to leave it behind on missions, but he knew that one false move could cause him to lose his weapon forever.

As Damian pulled it out of its nondescript black case, he took a moment to admire the beauty of it. It had cost a fortune, but it was worth it. He carefully removed his bow as well and began to play.

The bow seemed to float across the strings of the violin in a heartwrenching melody. In most things Damian considered himself a master. Only on the violin did he still consider himself a student. The young boy had always found playing the violin soothing and was amazed that the same hands that were literally dripping in blood, could make a melody that could bring even the strongest man to his knees in tears.

As Dick listened to his brother play, he could tell that, while Damian was all too modest about his accomplishments, he was truly a prodigy. Had he so chosen, Damian could have easily become one of the best violinists in the world. Of course, his opinion might be a little bit biased, but he knew it was true nonetheless. He watched as Damian focused only on the music and nothing else. The entire world around the eleven year old boy might as well have disappeared for all he paid attention to it.

When Damian finished his piece, he lowered his violin slowly, reluctant to remove the instrument from his shoulder. He looked at Dick and saw that his brother had tears in his eyes.

"That was beautiful, Dami."

Damian, the hardcore grandson of the Demon's Head, heir to the League of Assassins, actually blushed. "Thanks. I've been working really hard on it."

"I can tell."

"You won't . . . tell anyone, will you? I don't like it when people hear me. It's . . . nerve wracking."

Dick didn't harasses his brother about his brother about his stage fright. He just stood and ruffled Damian's hair. "That's fine, Dami. But I think I'm going to get you music lessons at the university here. If you really love the violin, then I think it would be good for you."

"I'd like that." Damian said quietly. Dick was a little shocked. Damian tended to think, admittedly often justifiably, that he was perfect at most things, usually fighting. This was an entirely different side of Damian, and one that Dick wanted to encourage as much as possible.

"Ok then."
***************
Jason woke with a snort and found Wally sitting on the sofa next to him. "How'd you get in?"

"Are you always sleeping?" The red haired speedster retorted.

"Hey man, I work . . ."

"As a vigilante. At night. When you should be sleeping. You don't have a real job. You don't go to school. You're nineteen and washed out as a bum living with your older brother." Wally sighed frustratedly.

"You good, man?"

"No, not really," Wally slid to the ground with his head in his hands. "Do you know where Dick is?"

"Out with the demon. Where you may ask? I have no idea. I don't really wanna know. What's the deal?"

"Did I tell you that Artemis was pregnant?"

"No! Congratulations man!" Jason was about to go for a high five, but then paused, seeing Wally wasn't nearly as excited. "What?"

"It's just . . . Artemis started working with the YJ again."

"I thought that was part of your agreement, cutting out the hero stuff,"

"It was. But after I disappeared into the speed force, she started getting involved with them again. And now she says she can't leave them."

"So . . . why does that bring you here?"

"I need Dick's advice."

Jason snorted. "Yeah, cause he's had a ton of girlfriends and knows so much,"

Wally rolled his eyes. "If I wanted girlfriend/wife type of advice, I'd ask Connor or Barry. No, I need people advice. And there's no one who knows people better than Dick."

Jason shrugged. "I guess. I mean, he is pretty good with people. He's even got the Demon twisted around his little finger if that tells you anything."

"For the last time, Jaybird," Dick commented from his position in the doorway, "Don't call Damian a demon. It's not polite."

"How long have you been standing there?" Jason asked.

"Long enough to hear the problem," Dick said, sitting in between Jason and Wally. "Wal, I know you want you and Artemis to have this perfect little life with no danger. I know that you're worried about Artemis. But Wal, this is life. It's not as cut and dry as it looks on paper. And if you really love Artemis, I would say let her continue playing the hero. 'Cause if you make her choose, she'll resent you, whichever way she chooses."

"But Dick, she's pregnant. What if she goes on a mission and hurts herself? What if . . ."

"Do you really think little Miss "Will You Boys Stop Climbing The Walls Using Knives You're Going To Fall" is going to do something dangerous enough to hurt herself or the baby?"

Wally smiled a little. "I guess not. I just worry about her."

Dick clasped a hand onto Wally's shoulder. "I know. But don't let your fear smother her. She needs her freedom just like you do."

"Ok. Thanks Dick. I knew you'd have the answer."

"You're welcome. I'd ask you to stay for dinner, but I don't think we've got enough food in the house."

Wally laughed. "Probably not. I'd better get home to Artemis anyways."

"Ok I'll see you . . ." Dick paused as Wally sped out the door. "Later,"

"Well, that was abrupt." Jason commented as Dick helped his younger brother to his feet.

"Tell me about it. C'mon Jay, Dami and I brought home pizza,"

"Ooooohhhhh the kind with vegetables?"

Dick chuckled. "Yes, although Damian might have . . ."

"DAMIAN DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY PIZZA!!!!" Jay raced from the room into the kitchen.

"Tt,"

Dick smiled as he heard his brothers arguing, probably over nothing. "I love my life,"