Chapter 02: New Home

Shiro's p.o.v.

I woke up to the smell of freshly made omelette. 'My parents. They...' With that thought my eyes started watering. I felt dizzy and uneasy. The urge to scream was not too far. 'They never liked me.' The tears multiplied. I heard footsteps coming to the room I'm in. I quickly wiped my tears away as I stood up from the bed. Ready for anything that comes my way.
"Hey, so, you up? I just finished breakfast. Come down when you're ready, okay?" The person outside the room said.
"Uh-uh yeah-ah. I'm up. I'm coming" I tried not to stammer the whole time.
"Okay, cool. I'll be downstairs."
I went rushing down the stairs after showering and wearing the clothes in the closet. 'Hearing from their voice. It's a girl. How old I don't know. I think about 19.'
"Hey! You finally came"she smiled.
I tried to smile back at her. She placed omelette, sandwiches and a cup of thee on the dining table for me. She gestured me to sit down on the dining table and I obeyed.
"Oh, almost forgot the bacon."
She then added bacon to the breakfast. We ate in silence. 'I want to ask her how I ended up here, but I'm not good at socializing. What if I say something wrong? I can still try, though.'
"Hey."
"Hi. Is the food not good?" She asked worriedly.
"Ummm.. No, it's delicious. I just wanted to know your name. So, what's your name if I can ask."
"Thank you. My name is Hiyori Ame." She smiled her bright smile again.
"And yours?"
"Shiro.. Shiro Tsuki." My face faltered.
"Nice name."
"Thanks. Yours, too."
"Nice to meet you, Shiro" she pulled her hand towards me. I shook it.
"Likewise" I smiled.
We continued eating in silence.
"How did you find me? How did I get here? Where am I?"
She chuckled.
"Slow down, little one. I found you yesterday after work on the ground in an alley. How you got there. I don't know. I'm in medical school, so I helped you. You were drenched. How? I don't know either, because it wasn't raining. You were burning up when I put you to bed. I mixed medicine in your thee. Don't worry. You'll be fine. You're in my house. My parents left me here alone and went to visit some relatives. They never came back." She fake smiled. With her last sentence I froze.
I looked at my hand. I placed it carefully on her head.
"It'll be alright, little girl. Thank you for saving me."
"You're the "little" one here, Shiro. It's okay. You're welcome." She laughed.
"What about your parents?"
I stopped chewing. I felt a big lump in my throat.
"I'm an orphan" I said emotionless.
"We are not that far apart then. Which school do you go to? This morning I went to buy you some school supplies. Your bag is over there." She pointed over to another room.
"Aki school. Thank you, kind miss"
Her eyes widened. She gasped. Placed her hands over her mouth.
"What?! Aki school?! You must be really smart, huh? They only let the rich and the smart kids in. No biggie, Shiro."
"Aced all my classes, yes" I finished my breakfast.
She looked at me in awe. She took my plate along with hers and bowed.
"I adore you, Shiro."
"Miss, um, you don't have to do that. I'm only just a five year old. I don't know much."
"I don't care. And please do call me 'Yori'. My parents called me that." She dried her hands after washing the plates.
I nodded.

______________________________________

"Have fun at school!" Yori miss yelled out from her car. I gave her a thumbs up and made my way to the restroom to change into my uniform Yori miss got me. After I changed. I went outside. The sun didn't shine the same anymore, the laughter of the kids playing in the background wasn't the same anymore, the way everyone talked wasn't the same anymore. I sighed as I looked at the school's garden.
"Hey, Shiro!" The way my best friend called wasn't the same anymore.
"Good morning, Kei."
"I just hung out with Hotaru Saki."
"The bully of the school? You're kidding right? You know what he did to us last semester."
"What he did to you. He got you good, didn't he?" Kei laughed his mocking laugh.
"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. He did. But bullying me was not good."
"Oh come on. That's how friendship works, Shiro."
He stepped in front of me. I glared at him.
"The class is about to start." With that statement I left Kei.

_____________________________________

*bell rings*

"That's it for today, class. See you tomorrow. Don't forget page 56 from your biology book."
"Yes, ma'am" the class shouted in unison. I would've to, but thinking about life made me feel sick to my stomach.
"Shiro!" I didn't wanted to deal with Kei, so I spead walked out of the hallway, but he still beat me to it.
"I'm going out to hang with Hotaru. You wanna come along?"
"No, thank you. I'm okay." I walked pass him.
"You'll regret it, if you don't come!" He shouted at my back. Like if I care.

______________________________________

Miss Hiyori picked me up from school. Afterwards she brought me to an elderly woman who is her grandmother I suppose. They talked about me when I was playing with my food miss Hiyori bought me earlier. My eyes wandered all over the house. It was very clean and big for an old lady to be in by herself. It had a nice fornt porch which I thought looked very comfortable. The living room was also so big and breathtaking from the brightness of the sun. The kitchen was a bit brighter than the living room, which caused me to throw a liking to it. Miss Hiyori told me afterwards, that the woman would take of me when she's working or at medical school. I tried to convince her that I would be fine by myself at her house, but she wouldn't listen to me. I didn't quiet mind though.
I left my school bag on the sofa as I waited for the woman to bring out some toys she said she had. She struggled down the stairs, so I hurriedly ran up to her and helped her with the toys. She smiled and thanked me. I felt warm inside and did the same. She gave me candies, cookies and cakes. Also drinks I never knew existed. I started playing with these toys while the elderly woman just sat on the other side of the living room on a rocking chair smiling at me. I try to ignore her, but she was kind if scaring me.
"You look so much like him."
I rose an eyebrow.
"Like who?"
Her eyes widened.
"She didn't tell you?" just as she said that. The door swung open revealing a tired miss Hiyori. She came in and popped down on the couch.
"You okay, dear?" The woman asked worriedly.
"The boss at work told me that I wasn't making the expresso right. Then he threatened to fire me, because I didn't put my shoes in the right way in the changing room. Like who does he think he is?!" She snapped. The elderly woman shook her head.
"Calm down, Hiyori. I'll make some tea for you and Shiro." My eyes widened in shock. 'She knows my name.' Miss Hiyori came next to me and smiled her normal warm smile at me.
"What you up to, my little boy?" She chimed at me.
"I played with some toys the kind elderly woman gave to me." I smiled as I gave her the one I was holding at the moment. She froze as I placed it in her hands. She stared at it, sadness visible in her eyes. I didn't want to ask her anything since people always addressed me as "weird" for noticing these things at a young age. I looked at her in pity. We stayed like that for awhile. Before a tear could fall from her eye, she quickly wiped it away and put on a big smile again. I pretended I didn't see a thing. And so did I do the same. The elderly woman came back in the living room with more sweets and tea.
"Your homemade cookies always make me feel way better, grandma Fuyu." Miss Hiyori told the elderly woman. 'So I was right.'
"It does, doesn't it? Shiro liked it too. He ate a good amount of it." She laughed and I looked away blushing. They both continued laughing.
"Oh, Shiro. I was such in a hurry today. I didn't tell you who this wonderful woman is. This is my grandmother from my mother side. Her name is Fuyu Ito. She's been by my side ever since I was a baby." She spoke highly of grandma Fuyu as she was flustered by hearing the praises of her granddaughter. Miss Hiyori laid her chin on grandma Fuyu's head. They both shared a warm smile on their face. I couldn't help but join them. They weren't a big family, but they were happy and thankful to have each other. 'I'm starting to like them.'
We spent the night at grandma Fuyu's since she insisted. Surprisingly she had clothes just my size. After dinner we all went in the living room again to watch a movie together. They both make jokes and talked about all kinds of things while watching the movie as I stayed silent. Like that night fell and it was time for me to go sleep. Not knowing what the future holds for me.

~ To be continued ~