Chapter 19: Stay High All The Time

I woke up in a daze. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes. My vision was blurred from all the light that flooded my room. My head felt incredibly heavy, so I slowly laid back down for my pillow to embrace me. I took a deep breath, doing all the normal things to wake up. I had a horrible taste in my mouth, so I cringed at that. I grabbed my phone off the cold night stand and unlocked it. No texts except a good morning one from Adam. I smiled at it, and replied as I switch positions from my left side, to my right. After I locked the phone, I sprawled my arms out on either side of me, but my right arm was met with a piece of paper.

Ohhhh fuck. I thought to my self as I unfolded it. It was from Alan. That's when all of last night rushed back to me like a flood. My heart rate sped up a little bit.

"Maddi, I needed that. I know you did too. I know it will never happen, but I really hope we can be friends. I know you're in a relationship with Adam now, I mean I don't particularly support it, but I know you don't support Reese and I. In case you don't remember, no funny business happened. We respected each other and every thing. All I did was wait for you to fall asleep, and I left. I love you Maddi.
-Alan Waters"

I smiled a little bit. It was nice to know that some one cares about me that much other than Adam. I knew that he was coming over soon, so I threw the note from Alan in the back of my closet some where and ran down stairs. Anna was no where to be found. I called her name, but no answer which means she must be at work. I saw one of my favorite sweaters sitting in the mountain of laundry on the couch and put it on.

Adam rang the door bell, and I walked over to answer it. I let him in, and hugged him immediately.

"So what do you want to do today?" I asked as we walked to the couch.

"Hmmmm, maybe go see a movie later tonight? Just us?" He said sitting down.

"Oh, uh you mean going out. In public...together." I said slowly.

"Yeah. It would be nice to get some fresh air." Adam said.

"I mean, I guess."

"It makes you uncomfortable, doesn't it?"

"No! Not at all!" I lied.

Adam looked at me like 'come on'. He knew it did. It only made me uncomfortable because of all the recent things that have been happening with Adam coming back, and last time we were out in the public is when he left me, but I didn't like to talk about it.

"Then let's not go!" He shrugged.

"It's just the people that will judge us and stuff." I said feeling a little bad.

"I totally know what you mean. Hows this, tomorrow is Halloween right? Lets go to a big celebrity party. No paparazzi's let inside. Only at the door. Can you deal with that?" Adam said grabbing my hand.

"You know what? Fuck it. Let's do it!" I smiled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

*The next day, October 31st*

I was getting ready to go the the Halloween party with Adam. I didn't really have much to do, but apparently Adam did. He wouldn't tell me what he was being, but apparently it was gonna be good. I was going a Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager. I loaded down on make up, put on my costume, and curled my hair with a curling wand. Of course I burned myself about three times.

I walked outside to see Adam. He texted me and told me he was here, but I didn't see him when I walked out. I rolled my eyes, thinking this is another joke from him. Then out of the bushes comes Adam in the most ridiculous realistic costume of a werewolf. It wasn't even a mask or anything. He had full on hair every where, a wig on, teeth put in, and white contacts. Clearly he gets more excited about Halloween then me.

"Got ya!" Adam laughed after I screamed my head off.

I hit him on his arms with both of my hands repeatedly. I knew it didn't hurt him, because I was just joking around. He was laughing so much, that eventually I just had to too.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's get the fuck on!" I said going to his car.

After a long drive there with my nerves on edge, we arrived.

"Maddi, are you sure you can do this?" He puts the car in park.

"I mean, no backing out now." I said.

He smiles and shrugs. He gets out of the car, and I wait a second because I know he was going to open my door. He helped me out of the car. As soon as I got out, He came close to my face.

"No matter what happens, don't let go. Okay? You're going to do fine. You look beautiful." He whispered in my ear.

And just like that, out of no where I was struck with full confidence. The first time I went any where with Adam, those were the exact words he said to me. We walk out and down the red carpet. I cant help but feel a little chilly. Plus all the camera flashes were making me dizzy. I tugged on Adams hand and he pushed me along inside.

Inside was just like a club. Pounding music filled my ear drums, the smell of alcohol and other drugs wafted by. As soon as we got in, Adam wanted to dance. I didn't' really like crowded social gatherings, but I only went to them because it made my Adam happy.

I got on the dance floor and danced with him. I started feeling claustrophobic, but I tried to ignore it and have fun. I wasn't going to lie, Adam was pretty gross looking in the Halloween costume. It was legitimately scary. After I started feeling too dizzy I went for a drink. I got none other than a margarita. I tried sitting at the bar for a while, but got annoyed at all the thirsty single white boys coming up to me and hitting on me. I knew it would make Adam mad, so I just went back to the VIP lounge to try and find him.

Normally people think the VIP lounge is some bigger and better party, but its normally a bunch of losers mixed in with some famous people smoking, snorting, or popping pills. I see Adam sitting at a table talking to Neil Patrick Harris and his husband. I tried to keep my cool, because he was my favorite actor in my favorite show. I didn't want to embarrass myself or Adam, so I just calmly greeted him and his husband with a handshake.

"Maddi, I was just telling Neil how big of a fan you are of him." Adam said as I sat down.

Yes it's true I am!" I said feeling a little red.

Him and his husband were amazingly nice just as I expected. I got to ask him all the unanswered questions I have always wanted to ask about How I Met Your Mother. We just drank the night away, and before I knew it, a lot of people were leaving to go home. When it gets late, that's when it gets freaky.

The room filled with a new smell of smoke. That's when my senses heightened. I'm pretty sure my pupils got five times bigger and everything. It was the smell of meth. I've already had a few too many drinks and was pretty shit-faced as it was. I kept on taking deep breaths not only to catch a glimpse pf the sweet smell, but also to control myself.

"Adam, get me out of here." I said before the cravings got any stronger.

He looked around and saw the multiple crack pipes with bags of precious white crystal. He grabbed my hand and almost yanked me out of there. We pushed our way past alcohol infested weirdos until we reached the crisp night air. He immediately shoved me in the car and stepped on it. It felt like he was speeding there and we got there in two seconds.

It was like everything around me was moving in slow motions, but my reflexes and mind wasn't. I tried to speak but my words just came out in one jumbled mess. I saw Anna walk by as soon as we walked in the door of my house. I pointed at her to try to say hello, but my tongue felt like jello.

"She's beyond twisted." Adam said.

Anna laughed at that and I saw her put a plate in the sink. 'Twisted' was a word we used to call some one who is drunk and also high. On marijuana that is. Adam lead me up the stairs. but the felt like and escalator, and I was walking the wrong way. Adam kept on laughing at me, but my mind coulndn't fully process why.

In a dizzy and twisted fit, I threw him onto the bed. I ripped off his nasty hair, and the rest of his costume. I looked down to take off my clothes, but they were some how already fully off. And before I knew it so were Adam's.