Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

[6] Blood

The sun was setting. Clouds ate the blue skies, their edges pink with the last of the day's light.

Ira burrowed into her coat. Towels and linen hung from a laundry post at the side of the manor. Most had long dried and now sat in the upstairs closet, rid of a decade's worth of dust. Ira planned to collect what remained on the line on her way back inside. There was dinner to be prepared, and Sir Beaufort's orders to consider besides. The creatures lurking in the surrounding woods were likely wanting a good supper, as well. Ira wasn't too keen to be a part of it.

A horse neighed. The gale whipped the sound as it climbed the mountain, a scream caught in the wind.

Ira startled. Her hand flew to her side and she widened her stance. She cocked her head, listening for the distinctive noise of hooves striking dirt.

As Ira watched, a brown horse broke through the tree line. It was moving quickly, but not nearly at full gallop. Ira's eyes moved from the beast's hulking rider to the cart bumping in its wake. Her eyes caught on red.

Blood.

Ira sprang forward. She let her feet drop hard as she ran, keeping her balance over earth made wet and soft by the recent storms. The rider lifted a hand, acknowledging her presence but not pausing his own journey. They met halfway between the stream and the manor. Ira bypassed horse and man entirely with the barest of nods. She grabbed a hold of the cart and climbed on, eyes on the women within. A young girl sat in one corner. She was trembling, watery gaze jerking from the woman lying in the cart to Ira and back. The coat the woman was wearing had bloomed a path of crusty red above her right breast. She groaned, heavy and pained, even as she lay unconscious.

"What happened?" Ira asked.

The girl shook her head in mute terror. "She was bitten," the rider called over his shoulder. "We're taking her to Beaufort."

The horse slowed down to a walking pace once they neared the manor. Ira climbed out, careful not to jostle the cart. "I will let Sir Beaufort know," she told the man.

Blue eyes bored into her. "Thank you."

Ira took a last look at the girl. Then she was off, racing for Beaufort Manor.

#

Valeri smelled the blood long before Ira thundered up the stairs calling for him. The vile, polluted stench cloyed his nostrils. He gasped for air he didn't need, wakened from a rare reverie in a most impolite and irritating fashion.

Valeri waited until Ira was at the door before rising from his seat. Slow, silent steps took him through the study and into the bedroom. He paused there, debating whether to answer or feign absence. He had no desire to play doctor, and to such a putrid patient at that.

The knocking notched up in intensity. Ira did not seem inclined to stop pounding on the door until she got inside, one way or another. Sighing, Valeri put on a mask of mild bewilderment and turned the doorknob.

"Is there something the matter?" he asked.

Ira bowed her head, a bare nod to formality. "There's a woman here who needs help. She has been attacked—bitten, her companion said. It does not look good."

The sound of the front door being urged open had Valeri gnashing his teeth.

"Help the woman to the sickroom downstairs. I will be with you shortly." Valeri's voice didn't betray his reluctance. The persona of the kind, confident doctor was already firmly in place. There was little else to be done, given that the sickly human had already invaded his home.

Ira departed with another hurried bow. Valeri made his way back to his study. A locked trunk sat beneath the desk, from which he extracted a leather satchel. He hurried his steps once he reached the stairs, as to make his arrival appear appropriately rushed.