Part 4

"There's our birthday girl!" Sydney shrieked.

Gemma couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm as Sydney engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug.

"I can't thank you enough for doing this, Syd," Gemma said.

"I don't know, I think you're going to be even happier when you go out back," Lauren gave Sydney a conspiratorial wink.

"What's out back?" Gemma asked. She had always hated surprises.

"You'll just have to come with us and find out!" Sydney sang.

Gemma sighed and, knowing that she wouldn't be able to get anything else out of Sydney, followed her and Lauren through the Esiason-Martin residence to the screen door. Sydney opened the door and motioned for Gemma to step outside, and she did.

"Surprise!" everyone yelled. Gemma squealed in delight; everyone she wanted to see was there. Grace was standing next to Kristy, who was holding her son, Jack, and next to her was Megan Bailey, Josh Bailey's wife. And to her right stood the best surprise of all, Paige.

Paige was Ryan Pulock's girlfriend, and out of the Isles' SO's, she was closest to Gemma in age. They bonded over their love of animals. Paige and Ryan had rescue dogs and volunteered at the shelters in and near their hometown, Brandon, Manitoba every summer. Gemma's parents used to do rescue work as well with their local animal shelter, so she and Paige became fast friends. Paige had been back home in Brandon for the past few weeks, and Gemma missed her a lot.

"Paige! I thought you weren't supposed to be back until Saturday?" Gemma exclaimed as she ran over to her and crushed her in a hug.

"I was, but Lauren called me last night and I got on the first flight out of Winnipeg at 6AM," Paige said, "I just got here an hour ago."

"You did that for me?" Gemma was in awe. Brandon was several hours away from Winnipeg; she had to have left at 2AM to make that flight.

"Of course! You're one of my best friends, and I had to be here for the big bash!" she replied.

Gemma smiled and hugged her in response as the other SO's said, "Awwww" at the same time.

"Are you ready to go swimming?" Sydney asked Gemma.

"Yeah, I have my swimsuit on under my clothes," she replied.

"That's good," Sydney said, coming closer to Gemma, "Because you're going in right now!"

Before Gemma realized what was happening, Sydney shoved her into the deep end of the pool. She landed in the water with a massive splash. She poked her head out from under the water as everyone laughed hysterically. Sydney was known to pull pranks like this from time to time, and she was now sitting on the ledge of the pool with her feet in the water.

Gemma swam closer to Sydney.

"No hard feelings, right, Gem?" Sydney asked. "I just want you to have some fun."

"Oh, none at all," Gemma replied, "But I think it's time for you to join me."

She pulled on Sydney's leg, and she slipped into the pool beside her. This provoked even more laughter among the other women surrounding the pool.

"Alright, I know I deserved that," Sydney managed to say through a fit of giggles. "The party has officially begun!" Gemma hugged her as Lauren and Paige jumped into the pool, and Grace and Megan followed.