Chapter 2: The Encounter

Thank you for giving a chance to my second chapter ♥
This time the story is centered around Saya and Tagon and take us back 4 years before the first chapter, but don't worry our next one will finally introduce to you tons of Yangcha x Saya moments :D I just couldn't write any romance between those 2 before Saya got older ^^"
If you're curious about the timeline this chapter takes place 4 years after the end of the Great Hunt:
Tagon is busy conquering territories and taking care of any insurgency, Saya lives cut off from the world (which is why he sounds so innocent and deluded when it comes to his father) and Yangcha is already following loyally Tagon.

____________________________________________

Everything Saya had done until now had brought him to this moment. The years of suffering alone, the fear of the unknown and all the dangers he had faced to arrive here. Everything had brought him to the man standing so close yet so far away from him. Tagon, the leader of the Daekan Forces but most importantly; his father.

— You did well today again, good job ! You all should go and rest now, tomorrow might be harder than today.

Saya admired him as he talked to his men, he looked full of assurance and ease despite the state they all were in. The young boy could easily guess they probably had just finished cleaning up the battlefield on which they had fought. They were covered in blood and dirt but there were no trace left of bodies or broken weapons. He couldn't help but feel disappointed, he would have loved to witness his father in action. To see him fight and overpower his opponents with his incredible skills. In the lonely place where he had been raised his only source of amusement were the tales about his father Hae Tuak would sometimes tell him. His father was the hero and protector of Arthdal, his greatest fighter and his best strategist. That's why he always had to be away, that's why he couldn't come and visit him. He wasn't avoiding him, no ! It's just that his work was too important. He had to protect their great city and all of their inhabitants. A task which could only be achieved by someone as great as him and his valorous warriors, the Daekan Troops. Saya looked up at them almost as passionately as he admired his father, he envied those men he had never met because they had the trust of his father. Sadly he hadn't been able to gather much information on his heroes as Hae Tuak didn't knew about a lot of them. She had told him that the best fighter of the group was Mubaek, a man from a tiny tribe who had been the leader until Tagon arrived. Then next in strength was Yangcha, his father's right hand man. He was a mysterious masked fighter who wasn't allowed to talk because of a punishment for an important fault he had made. Saya was very curious about it but most importantly he admired the generosity of his father for accepting a sinner among his rank, if the decision had been his he never would have accepted. He sometimes wondered if his father truly was such a virtuous man or if he was the one who still had a lot to learn about the value of men.

— Mubaek I'll let you take care of the rest.

The voice of Tagon forced Saya out of his train of thought, his father was on the move he had to follow him. However he still had to be careful, none of his men knew about his existence and he didn't want to create a scene on their first meeting. He had to stay hidden until they returned to the camp, he didn't knew where his father was heading but it didn't look like he was planning on accompanying his soldiers. If he stayed away from them it would make things way more easier for his son who wanted to talk to him alone, yet again the odds didn't seem to be on his favor. While most of the soldiers stayed kneeled on the floor, one of them rose to his feet and followed him. "Yangcha..." Immediately identified Saya, he frowned, why was this man following his father when it clearly looked like he wanted some time alone ? While he wanted to complain out loud all he could do right now was curse at him in his head.

— Ah this day is finally over ! happily shouted one of the man while stretching his arms. Time to go home !
— But where is lord Tagon going ? asked another.
— Well lady Taealha was there yesterday, she might have announced to him something important he needs to think about.

The comment of the third man created a wave of confusion among the warriors who started to chat among themselves like undisciplined children.

— Lady Taealha was there ?
— I didn't see her.
— Me neither and I was on duty !
— Well no one is surprised about that.
— Hey what are you insinuating ?

From there all the chatters turned into loud comments as everyone seemed to have something to say about the person next to them. This hubbub lasted until the man who had mentioned Taealha's presence in the first place gestured everyone to be silent.

— You're all totally missing the point here ! he said to them with an annoyed face. You should be talking about what she could have announced to him instead of blabbering about whether someone saw her or not !

His remark made the crowd go wild once again, all the soldiers were now exchanging theories on what Taealha could have revealed to Tagon. Some of the warriors claiming she may have come to announce to them they were finally allowed to go back to Arthdal, while others were affirming she had only come to give them orders.

— As expected when it comes to gossips no one can beat Gilsun !

Saya tried to gather in his mind all the informations he knew about this man. He was a member of the White Mountain tribe and an influent one at that, which placed him near Mubaek in term of rank but clearly below him in term of fighting skills. Hae Tuak had said he was quite smart but lady Taealha had called him a "capable idiot" so he wasn't too sure on what to think of him.

— I thought you were tired and needed to rest but seeing how you still have that much energy to talk about things which do not concern you I guess you won't need a day of rest tomorrow.

The comment from the man who Saya assumed was Mubaek made all the warriors silent. He was just like Hae Tuak had said, more serious and mature than the others.

— Brother, aren't you being too harsh ? asked the man who had rejoiced about going home earlier. We are just chatting

Saya identified him as Mugwang, contrary to his older brother he was childish and had average fighting skills. Despite thinking of him this way the young boy didn't despise the soldier, he had heard of how loyal and obedient Mugwang was to his father and nothing in his heart could ever beat such a good attitude.

— We are going back to the camp. ordered Mubaek without paying any mind to how discomfited his brother looked.
— You sure know how to ruin the mood. commented Gilsun. Mugwang is right, you're being a pain in the ass with your sore attitude.

Mubaek glared at him angrily before walking up to him as if to challenge him into a fight. "Now is the moment !" thought Saya as much as he wished to stay and observe a fight between the two men, he knew their bickering was the only opportunity for him to pass by them without getting spotted. Walking slowly on all fours he circumvented the crowd as silently as he could and went in the direction his father had gone. Even if it was getting darker he didn't mind, for a reason he didn't knew he could see very well even during night time. After a few minutes of fast walking he caught up to the two men. His father was still leading as Yangcha followed him, none of them exchanged a word but they both seemed quite concentrated. Saya admired his father once again, he was tall and muscular just like he had had imagined. He was also handsome and charismatic just as the heroes in the books he had read. There was no doubt in the mind of the young boy that his father must have been favored by the Gods and that simple thought made his heart burst with pride. Pride but also fear, compared to his father he felt so little and insignifiant. He was worried about many things, how would his father react after seeing him, what he would think of him and what he would decide to do with him in the future. "What if he decides to lock me up again in the tower ?" this simple thought terrified him, he didn't want to go back there again. He hoped his father would understand but he also hoped he would tell him what he had done to be punished like that all those years. "Father please forgive me for my past wrongdoings and let me stand by your side..." too busy repeating those words again and again in his mind to give himself strength, Saya didn't caught the slight stoppage the two men he was following executed at the same time.

— Leave me, I want to be alone for a moment.

Tagon had said those words without looking back but Yangcha still cared to bow to him. After doing so he turned tails and left, leaving his leader alone in the forest. And the further the soldier walked away, the louder Saya's heart reasonated. He could feel his entire body shaking and his hands becoming sweaty. Now truly was the moment he had dreamed of his entire life. It was time for him to greet his father.

— I know you're there so why are you hiding ?

The question almost made the young child collapse, he couldn't believe his ears. Had his father been aware of his presence since the beginning ? "Of course he must have" he was the lord of war Tagon, the best strategist of Arthdal. There was no way someone as wise and experimented as him could have been deceived by a small fry like himself. After taking a huge breathe the boy left his hiding-place and advanced. At first he walked, with careful and timid steps but then as he saw his father slowly turn to look at him he started to run.

And it was at this moment that it happened.

He suddenly felt something cold and hard violently grab his throat to pin him on the floor. As he was out of breath and confused he didn't even think about freeing himself before a shadow suddenly jumped on top of him to pressure him down. The weight of the man was making it hard to breathe and the tears of pain he was trying to refrain from flowing were blurring his vision. He couldn't see well but he immediately recognized Yangcha because of the dark spot his mask was creating on his face. Afraid the child tried to open his mouth to call out to his father only to have grip of the chain around his neck tighten. Panicking he started to resist but quickly gave up as the soldier increased his pain each time he moved.

— Well what do we have here ? said Tagon while approaching, after seeing Saya his expression changed. A child ? Now I always knew Mihol had no problem using innocent children for his dirty deeds but it's my first time seeing him use a killer child.

The masked man didn't answer but his growing anger and hatred toward Saya didn't go unnoticed.

— Hey now...What's gotten into you ? asked Tagon with a hint of amusement in his voice.

Yangcha looked away, clearly embarrassed by his reaction.

— It's just a child, he wouldn't have been able to hurt me anyway.

Reluctantly his loyal servant loosened his chain allowing oxygen to enter Saya's lungs which made he cough loudly.

— What's your name kid and what were you trying to do ?

Between two violent coughing fits the child tried to pull himself up but was violently pushed back by the soldier.

— Yangcha. said his lord with a cold voice.

The soldier immediately got off of the boy as if he had been burnt. Having done so he then picked up his weapon without taking his eyes off him. His behavior was calm but the killing intents in his gaze was perceptible. This time Tagon didn't comment on his attitude and directly addressed the trembling child.

— Catch your breath kid then answer my question.

Saya nodded to show he had understood and took a minute to himself to gain back a part of his composure.

— Now tell me, who sent you ?

Although he had asked this question with a gentle tone, his son could still feel the authority in it. Out of nervousness he lowered his eyes and his head.