Chapter 4 - Midnight Surprise

Later that night, I am lying in bed but I cannot sleep, although it is almost midnight. My mind is still reeling from the exciting day I spent with the guys. I can really count myself lucky to call them my family. Today, they have exceeded all my expectations by a mile.

I guess everybody likes to be noticed and to be paid attention to, every once in a while. Even more so on that one special day a year that kind of sets you apart from the rest of the family. Well, if you are not a twin, that is. It probably sucks a bit for Noah, Aidan, Josh and Jordan because they have to share their birthdays with another person. Anyway, in our family, it is generally a bit difficult to stand out since there are so many of us. Hence, being given as much attention as I was today – and receiving so much love – is simply wonderful. Although, I guess I have to be realistic and honest here, too: I am clearly in a more privileged position than some of my brothers when it comes to such things. I automatically kind of have a special status, being the only girl and all.

What still makes me feel giddy with excitement is that both Sean and Luke showed up to celebrate with me. I cannot remember when it happened the last time that all of us were together. Well, all of us minus Jordan. Often, we don't even spend Christmas together, the twelve of us. Be it because of Alex' stupid working hours, or Luke playing a Christmas gig somewhere. Or Jordan being deployed at the other end of the world.

Jordan. I still cannot believe that he is coming home in two weeks! That is probably the best present I have been given in a long time. That, and the phone, of course. Although he has been very vague about his plans, I sure hope that he will be staying for good. How that is gonna tie in with his career plans, I don't know and I don't really care, either. I know he is very passionate about his job, and me hoping for him to quit it just so that he can stay here is probably pretty selfish. I won't push him, either, because that would be unfair. But a bit of gentle encouragement certainly can't hurt.

I suddenly notice that I am humming a melody. My thoughts drift back to that one moment by the bonfire that will probably stay with me for months and years to come. Luke had brought his guitar – he never really goes anywhere without it – and we were all sat comfortably around the fire. I was cuddled up against Sean, and Luke was on the other side of me. He played a few songs. Some of them covers and therefore familiar, and some of them his own songs that most of us didn't know. Then he started finger picking a wonderful little melody. The song had only very few lines of lyrics to go with it, but it was perfect the way it was. It hit me straight away that there was something special about that little melody. Luke must have noticed me staring at him in wonderment, because he turned his head in my direction and looked at me with a knowing expression. Then he winked at me and from that moment on I knew that I had a new favourite song. It was absolutely beautiful.

He told me later that he has written it with me in mind. I mean, come on! Who can honestly say that someone wrote a song about them? Not that many people, and surely not many younger siblings. Even though he didn't say it, I look at it like yet another wonderful birthday present. I need to ask him tomorrow if he has a recording of it – and if not, maybe we can make one.

I remember that Jack has been playing around on his phone all evening. Perhaps he captured that moment on film, too? I make a mental note to check with him first thing in the morning. It would be even more special to me if I could save that specific memory somewhere where I can revisit it whenever I want to: my new phone!

I smile at that thought. I never expected that my brothers would give in so easily. I only started to pester them about wanting my own phone about half a year ago, because by then, all my friends at school had one and I felt left out.

Oh, I cannot wait to contact them! I would do it now, since I am still wide awake, but a) I don't have their numbers (the emergency contact list from my old school only lists the numbers of their parents) and b) I had to leave my phone downstairs. That is one of the hundreds of rules Alex has and that he is really strict about: the twins, and now also myself, are not allowed to use the phone after 8pm and we are definitely not allowed to have it in our bedrooms for the night.