8 : Last of the Teens

"How was therapy?" Mom smiled as she fixed me up mixed berries with a cup of whipped cream on the side, the golden spoon at the tip of her fingers. I know she's worried that I'll fall into my old dark days, but I'm trying my best not to break and be as brittle as I was. "Dr. Chase says we're getting somewhere, but definitely not where we should be, it'll be a process that I'm going to stay on top of" I smiled, comforting my mother as much as I can. My mom doesn't need to worry about me as much as she already does with work and the rest of the wolf pack, my siblings are a ton of work, not the prettiest.

I spent a good 5 minutes, skimming and reading the new headlines which I don't normally let myself fall into but the pictures really hooked me in, though most of them basically just have the same titles of 'Devin Booker girlfriend near death experience'. Only problem I have with it is what does Devin get to play a role in my trauma? Did he go through it? No, it's just bait that these websites and blogs use to lure in money, why can't it be something like 'Troubled kid with a troubled past becoming everyone's worst nightmare'. Don't add me or my boyfriend into it, I was just a victim not the shooter or the dead or the families who lost their loved ones. People love to make things about other people that have no relations to it. I almost died but I didn't, now let's move on from that and learn to actually create better headlines and articles, using real and honest information.

I stayed on the phone with Dev, he's back in Arizona practicing for the upcoming game this Saturday against the 76ers. Long distance isn't always sunshine and daises but the conversations definitely always hit the spot, we talked about how my therapy because Devin insists that it's good to talk about it. Of course along the lines of my traumatic experience, we talked about how his practice went and how Kobe Bryant had sent him new shoes, my college choice, and of course we can't forget to greet the family and vent to each other on how much of a pain in the ass having siblings is. Long distance might suck but if you're willing- he's willing and you both mean so much to each other then that'll be the core of it all, if the foundation is strong, you'll be stronger as a whole.

"I'm really going to college in about two months from now, how crazy is it that time goes by like a snap of a finger" I got head over heels for my future, it's like getting a brand new car except it's kind of a new life where your future is on the line. No pressure though right?

"Columbia University is lucky to have you my dear sweetie" Yeah, of course she'll say that but deep down inside my mom's crying, Palm Springs to New York City that's too far for her. She'll get child-sick before I ever get homesick, it happens to all of her children- except for the big bad brother who made it to Pepperdine U- literally just a few minutes away. He says he's doing mom a favor by saving money but here he is legitimately borderline into becoming part of the frat pack. 

"Thank you mommy" I looked over as I gave her a tight hug which ended up being a mistake because her goodbye cries aren't just messy but heavy. My gray shirt is turned black, all of the tears that fell onto me look as if I have a sweating problem- hyperhydrosis. I don't.

"I never got one of those cries" Sylas tilted his head with a bag of sour cream and onion lays in one hand and a Hi-C jukebox on the other, like he never even grew up at all.

Sandie came walking in, the youngest of us five- "That's because you're a local boy- don't make the same mistake as this dumbass everyone-" Sylas smacked her up the head, mom clearing her face of tears and smacking the both of them before the two start a brawl "Stop it you two, go live outside the house- socialize with the neighbors or something"

"Not everyone has a NBA boyfriend mom, I mean Sabine just jumped on the bandwagon with Afi" Samara, on the couch doing both homework and eating, being careful she doesn't get pasta onto the new couch mom had bought last month. Samara's the one who'll get away with anything, especially with eating on the couch and that is mom's biggest pet peeve. It's clear to everyone that she's the favorite while I'm the one who always needs to be carefully watched because I'm the messed up one.

I rolled my eyes at the sound of that "Dev just simply introduced Sab with one of his best friends- DiAngelo Russell who, uhm, by the way, will be joining us for thanksgiving this year and Dev will too. Maybe instead of complaining about how loveless you are, you should try actually putting down the walls you've built up so high because you're afraid to be rejected by every specie on the planet. You'll be bi- yourself for the rest of your life if you don't" I enjoyed that, teasing Samara is probably one of the things that'll get me going on any sad day. I can answer her all day and will once in a blue moon get away with it, if it's the right time and the right amount of sad.

Samara viciously rolled her eyes at me, stuck her tongue out like a child "Try the WNBA since clearly the NBA's all booked out, don't wanna be a bandwagon now do ya Samara?" I winked right back at my sister who tried to ignore every word I'd just said.

I'm excited to see Devin during the holidays, it'll be a blast not only because his best friend will be there for him and Sabine, but because it's our first Thanksgiving together and he won't be playing any games so we're headed out to watch the L.A Rams play up at the booths we were lucky enough to score! The boys are familiar with L.A but not with Palm Springs, out here, it's like a small town where UFO's just casually fly by on a Tuesday night where your neighbors are retired old people who aren't that much of a fan of living beach side. 

Palm Springs is way far out of the city, it's peaceful and quiet, definitely the hottest of all SoCal cities but it's got perks too with the dune activities and random dinosaurs you'll see at the side of the free way. Palm Springs is a little weird for that, but how normal is Palm Springs? 

Devin <3

How would you feel if I just flew you out to come see me play this Saturday? Hypothetically speaking tho

Oh just to see you play huh?

Yup, that's it. But seriously tho babe

I mean I love seeing you play the game, watching you make those shots and being able to scream on the bleachers that my boyfriend's a rockstar. Why?

Okay well there'll be a driver to come pick you up tomorrow morning, only thing is it's at 4am... I KNOW IT'S HORRIBLE TIMING

baby I don't be sleeping lately, don't worry about it! See you soon handsome!