𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

-𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫-

4

𝐍𝐨𝐰

No one ever gets used to pain, over time they learn to live with it

No one ever gets used to pain, over time they learn to live with it. Margo however had become accustomed to her early morning rendezvous, cigarette set alight, warming the icy tears that dropped down her flushed cheeks, eyes boring into the dark sky which it's stars no longer burned bright, it's fire worn down by time and patience.

Her head turned lightly, letting the breeze gently hit her face as small locks of brown whisked behind her. Reminding her of the flop of dark brunette hair buried into the pillow still sound asleep, body lying on the front as hands tightly curled around the sheets splayed across his sprawled out figure, contrasting to the empty side which laid empty and motionless.

A small smile gracing her lips as she watched him, at peace with his demons, their demons. The only time where they don't struggle to hold conversation, or to look at each other without breaking, because they dealt with the pain but it was damn hard to carry on living when they stared at death every day.

The soft snores and the quiet hustle from outside the window was the only noise in the room, though with enough concentration the sound of ash flaking away from the rolled paper in her lips could be heard, a sizzle as it hit the windowsill with its minuscule ambers glowing orange as it soon died out into a dull grey.

Nicotine contaminating her sense of smell, though it felt normal to her, a feeling of routine and stability, going to sleep knowing that hours later she would be woken up by her own heartbreak, a gasp lodged in her air ways as she once agin stumbled out of bed to the window seat- overlooking all of the other houses in deep slumber, pulling out the cigarette pack from the drawers next to her.

So when a shrill ringing blasted through the bedroom, Margo was shocked to say the least, confusion clouding her as her head wandered to to flashing phone next to the bed. The ringtone awakening Jack with a husky groan as he rolled over to his back, bringing his hand to his face scratching the scruff of his beard, momentarily looking towards his girlfriend sitting with a tense posture at the other end of the room. Margo making no suggestion as to her moving to grab the phone, Jack reached over to grab it, the screen lighting his face which was now pulled together as is eyebrows scrunched up,
"It's your sister."

"Nelly?" Her voice croaked as she leapt up from her position, eagerly taking the phone when she saw his head nod, pushing it to her ear with no hesitation.

"Mar?" Distress wavered her words as she spoke, like threads of darkness woven into innocence which should have never been tainted.

"Yeah I'm here Nel." Margo bit her lip, throwing out the cigarette to focus on the late night call which undoubtedly worried her.

"She's back." Both lines went silent for a few seconds, while one was waiting for an answer the other was taking in the information, running her hand through her knotty strands.

"The bent neck lady?" The question lingered in the atmosphere, shaky breaths and sniffles travelling through the phone answering the question for her, "Nelly, listen to me where are you?"

"It's okay Mar, I'm home." She spoke faintly, her words growing further away as her attention drifted on to what Margo couldn't see, though something felt wrong, something was wrong and she knew this, because the two sisters were more alike then they thought and there was only one place that they would ever call home.

The air had become clammy, sweat staring to protrude on the layer of her pale skin as the grip tightened around the object pressed against her ear, the rustle of sheets behind her not tearing her gaze off of the wall, "Nell, don't you even think about it-"

"-It's funny isn't, no matter how far we go, we always end up back where we started. Right back at rock bottom, waiting for time to throw us around like..like we're it's..puppets, tied on string, dancing around, making a fool out of ourselves." In the background there was faint door slam and crunch gravel beneath small stepped feet.

"Nell-"

"I'm sorry. I have to go now." Her shaky breath matched the tears falling from Margo's eyes,

"No, no no, Nelly, get back in the car turn around, I'll get on the first plane and.. and I'll meet you somewhere. But just please, don't go into that hou-"

"I love you Mar." That was the last thing she heard before the line went dead, a beep ending the last of the call.

Shaky fingers shot in front of her, repeatedly pressing the number which wouldn't pick up, cracked mumbles escaped her lips, refusing to believe what just happened. Though warm hands wrapped around her own small ones, worry and fear etched into his features.
"Margo what's going on?"

"No, no I need to.." snatching her hands away she turned around swiftly, pacing as she looked though her contacts, trying to find a number she had never once called,

"Margo, talk to me. Please!" His pleads continued as he watched her struggle to keep it together for what it seemed to be the second time that night, though all he was met with was a large inhale of air as she brought the phone up to her ear.,

"Dad? It's me. She's at the house..Hill House."

-𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫-