Part XX

(JIN)

“Mom, you shouldn’t exhaust yourself by coming here”, I told my mother who was now sitting on the couch at my penthouse. She looked so fragile and weak.

“Don’t worry, sweetie. Hye Ra is a very good caregiver. She sees to it that I have plenty of rest which is the reason why I always get bored, especially now that both you and Jungkook aren’t living in the house anymore”, she winked at the young woman who helped her sit.

“Mam, call me if you’re ready to go home”, Hye Ra said. She bowed to both me and my mom before going to the elevator to leave. She would probably wait at the lobby until mom calls.

“Isn’t she a dear?”, my mother praised.

“Yes, she is”, I sat beside her and gave her a hug. I felt how her body had become frail for just a few years after the accident. I felt guilty because I was also the reason for her sudden heart illness.

“Where’s your brother?”.

“Jungkook? Why?”.

“I told him to co....”. We were interrupted by the opening of the elevator door to reveal Jungkook. He walked towards us with a smile upon seeing our mother.

“Hi mom”. He embraced her and sat opposite us.

“I’m sorry, Kookie, if I pulled you away from your party”, she said.

“Don’t worry about it”, Jungkook grinned.

“I guess, you came here not just for a visit, right?”, I asked.

“Partly, yes but the main reason why I came here is because Mr. Choi talked to me. He wanted to buy your stocks in the company”.
Mr. Choi is one of the stock holders in our company and he is also a member of the board of directors.

“but, why would he do that? The three of us are still the major stock holders” , I was confused.

“Actually, the both of you are”, she corrected and that caught our attention.

“Mom, is there something you’re not telling us?”, I questioned.
She sighed, like she had been carrying a heavy burden for a long time, “When we went to America, I had to sell my share of the stocks for your treatment”.

I knew that my medical treatment was expensive but mom never showed us that we have to worry financially, but now I know. I felt all the more guilty for having her sacrificed the years of her hard earned work .

“You should have sold my share, mom instead of yours”, I think it was more sensible considering I was the one who needed the medical care the most.

My mom noticed my sudden expression. She leaned forward and hold my hand. “Jinie, how could I sell your share when I knew how your father did his best to earn it for your future. And, you too, Kookie. Both of your dads worked their asses off to give their children their legacy and that is the company”, she also gave Jungkook a heartwarming smile.

“So, now, Mr. Choi and the two of you are the major stock holders of the company”, she continued.

“What if we decline from his offer?”, Jungkook asked.

“That’s the thing, if you will not accept his offer, he has another porposal. Oh yes, sons, I think he thought this through”, she somehow noticed that I was about to speak.

Mr. Choi was indeed a very smart man when it comes to his ventures and he doesn’t take no as an answer.

“That should you choose to turn down his offer, he thought of another ace to give. This time it involved his daughter”.