FIVE; A Trip Worth While

The feeling Shaylee once got from small-town Forks was gone

The feeling Shaylee once got from small-town Forks was gone. Her love was gone, her friend was gone, the love for her family, gone.

The constant reminder from her siblings that she was young, weak and not an equal in their coven pushed her to enforce change in her repetitive life.

Shaylee couldn't bring herself to regret the decision of making the permanent move to Volterra. The decisions made that brought her the doorstep of the old and ancient castle were worth the painful trip.

With a scarf loosely thrown over her head and dark sun glasses to block the sun from revealing the unnatural sight of what she truly was, Shaylee brought herself to doorsteps of the Volturi's castle. Her tremulous hand brushed the door handle before roughly pushing the door open.
As she stepped in, she removed her scarf and glasses and was greeted by two familiar guards who arrived from around the corner of the old castle.

They approached with their heads high, before noticing who they were dealing with. They instantly stopped when greeted by Shaylee Mikaelson. Both Demetri and Felix looked at each other before bending the knee. Bowing their heads and kneeling before her, she scoffed.

"Stand up, you fools," Shaylee demanded, walking towards the kneeling men. Both men rose to their feet at her command. For a pair of men who both towered over Shaylee, they feared her. She knew this was the kind of respect her deserved, and the kind of respect she wouldn't receive if she remains in Forks.

Demetri and Felix were both stunningly handsome immortal males in their 20's. They both stood over 6 feet. Both were pale with crimson red eyes. Demetri had elegant brown spiked hair, whereas Felix had loose flowing black hair. Felix was strongly built, and Demetri was more elegant and slender.

"Take me to Aro," Shaylee demanded, and the two guards nodded to each other before turning back to Shaylee.

"Right this way," Demetri flashed his charming signature grin that every girl went weak in the knees for.

The walk through the castle was excruciatingly long. Every time Shaylee ended up in Volterra, she swore the walk was longer and longer every time.

The narrow corridors were endless. All walls were decorated in million-dollar middle-aged paintings. The tiles echoed with each step of the vampires' expensive heels.

The path led to an old rustic door that squeaked loudly as Felix opened it. The path that led down the steps wasn't as classy as the main entrance. The sandstone walls created a much colder atmosphere as the group descended down the concrete stairs. Felix went first, Shaylee second and Demetri closed the door after holding it open for Shaylee. His provocative grin made Shaylee shiver and his bright eyes stared her body down like he used to. As Shaylee passed him at the door, she avoided getting too close and avoided his eyes as best as she could.

Their feet shuffled down the dusty cement stairs towards an elevator. Felix pressed the button and the group patiently waited for the doors to open. Felix was first in.

"After you, love." Demetri purred into Shaylee's ear, who showed no reaction to his flirt. Instead, she followed Felix into the elevator.

She stood comfortably between the guards who towered over the top of her. The operatic music was odd, but she held back her desire to laugh.

"When did you all become so lazy?" Shaylee asked to break the uncomfortable silence. "I didn't know ancient castles came with elevators."

The guards ignored her comment, finding humour in her statement, but it was as though these people lacked the ability to laugh.

Shaylee followed Felix out of the elevator, and Demetri, again, followed close behind Shaylee.

As soon as they exited the elevator, they were greeted by a young and gorgeous mortal woman.

"Buon pomeriggio!" She greeted, standing up from her seat with a bright smile. Shaylee knew instantly why she was there. Her desire for immortality brought her to the castle full of vampires, but Shaylee knew she wasn't going to get it.

"Oh, you guys are cruel." She spat, but she didn't protest against it.

That, the guards chuckled at. They passed through another narrow hall before ending up at the 15 foot tall rich, black double doors. Felix pushed through the double doors before standing beside the notorious Jane and Alex, Demetri soon followed.

Shaylee hesitantly stepped through the double doors. Her heels echoed through the wide and open ancient hall. She was once again greeted with gold and black thrones. Three thrones were accompanied by recognisable faces. Shaylee noticed an extra throne like they knew she was coming.

Aro, Caius, and Marcus. Three ancient vampires known to almost be as old as the one standing before them. Shaylee vividly remembered the day she turned Aro.

The shaky breath of Aro was audible, and his deep, soft voice echoed through the bright, white hall. "Shaylee Mikaelson. What a wonderful surprise."

His smile was there, but it wasn't sincere. The Volturi resented the Original family. The only thing the Volturi wanted that they couldn't get was power, and that was something they couldn't have no matter how hard they tried.

"Aro," Shaylee greeted.

Footsteps were heard from the hallway that was hidden behind the expensive thrones.

"Sorry, friends, took longer than expected." The figure Shaylee recognised all too well joked.

Shaylee's breath hitched and almost trembled.

The cheeky smile of the boy faded when he saw Shaylee standing the same room as him for the first time in centuries.

"Shaylee?"

"Kol?"